Funny customers....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnut101, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

So I just got off the phone with a customer who I do bi-weekly bed maintenance for. She Thinks my bill of $82 is outrageous. I told her I was there one week for an hour and 15 minutes. I charge $30/hr for weed pulling. The next time I had another guy working with me and it took us 45 minutes, which is the same as 1.5hrs, right? She didn't understand that part. She ended the service (thank goodness :hammerhead:), only wish I woulda. I tried explaining to her the "per man hour concept," but she didn't understand that. I also told her that if I was there by myself, I would've been there for 1.5hrs, so 2 guys for 45 minutes is the same. She still didn't understand, and she said that's not what we agreed on. Man, I guess I shoulda known from the beginning, when she said "Oh, I can't pay that much for pulling weeds per hour". Some people:rolleyes:
  2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ya some people just cant grasp the idea of "man Hrs". Some see is $30 an hr no matter how many people are on the job. Some see $30 an hr per man, 2 guys= $60 pre hr and there like WHAT your charging me $60 per hr??....:usflag:
  3. Lawnut101

I know. The part I don't understand is how they think that paying the same rate for 2 guys as 1 guy is fair, when pretty close to 2x the amount of work gets done in the same amount of time, give or take a little. :waving:
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That's one of the reasons I don't accept any bi weekly customers. The few that I have now are ok, but when and if they are gone I won't be loosing any sleep over it.
  5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ohh dont you just love youre clients..and youre employess..i love landscaping!

"you need to move a refrigerator before july 4th for our party" ...

"ahh we dont do that sorry , just landscaping"

"but we are really good customers"

which is true already payed us about $4,000 + for landscaping to date this season

"oookkkk we will"

got to love landscaping!
  6. Lawnut101

I won't either, I'm just kinda p-od that she can't understand that. :hammerhead:
  7. Lawnut101

Hahahha. Maybe they will pay you! lol The part that really ticks me off, is that I know these people can afford it, by looking at their cars and house.
  8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear ya budd, One of my clients with a nice house, property, vehicles, in ground pool sometimes complains a bit bout pricing and would like it if i came as little as possible to cut the grass (less often then weekly). Yet when im there she has a couple cleaning ladies inside working and when she gives me a check she tells me they have a second house now too. LOL, aint my problem if you can control how much you spend.
  9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Had one customer today tell me that the storm knocked down several limbs.
    And would I clean them up for them. Now storm was friday eve...and she's asking me to clean them up when I get there to mow:cry::cry: Just what i needed to do. Shot her a quick, and high price, and she was shocked I was going to charge them. Told her my worker dont work for free, and neither do I. She said mow around them for now. She and her husband fired up the tractor/loader and cleaned them up while we mowed. I couldn't belive they left them there for 5 days thinking ill clean them up for free.

I love my job.........sometimes................:usflag:
  10. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

That's why I charge by the job, not by the hour. It's worth what it's worth, regardless of how many people are working on it.