Funny Homeowner Question to MSNBC Answer Desk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woody82986, May 1, 2007.

1. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just saw this today on MSNBC.com. I thought it was funny.

With my lawn mower, I ran over one envelope with $500 and damaged all the bills. Who can help me to replace the damaged bills for new ones and how?
    — Joseph D., Rosemead, Calif.

Don’t you just hate it when that happens?

It turns out the the good folks down at the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing are ready to help out. And they’ve seen it all. Apparently, the most common causes of currency mutilation are “fire, water, chemicals, explosives; animal, insect or rodent damage; and petrification or deterioration by burying.”

Even though lawn mowers aren’t on the list, the Treasury Department says you can exchange shredded United States currency for new bills of equal value as long as you have 1) more than half of a note “identifiable as United States currency” or 2) if you have less than half a note, “the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed. “

If the bills are still in fairly decent shape, you may be able to exchange them for fresh ones at a local bank. If not, there are two ways to trade in your damaged dollars. If you happen to be in the vicinity of the Office of Currency Standards at 14th and C Streets in Washington, (between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., Monday through Friday except holidays) you can bring in what you've got left and they’ll take a look.

Otherwise, you need to write a letter explaining what happened and mail in whatever the mower left behind. You may want to shake out some of the grass clippings, but the bureau advises that you “do not disturb the (currency) fragments any more than is absolutely necessary." Besides, all that grass will probably help back up your claim.

So bundle it up and send it by registered mail to:

Department of the Treasury
    Bureau of Engraving and Printing
    Office of Currency Standards
    P.O. Box 37048
    Washington, D. C. 20013

If you’d like to give them a call to let them know it’s coming, you can reach them at 1-866-575-2361.

And maybe next time, check the yard for wads of cash before firing up the mower.

I just want to know why there was an envelope with $500 cash laying around his lawn anyway...

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, that's the first thing I do when preparing to mow a lawn. I always, and I mean always, check for envelopes full of cash BEFORE mowing EVERY lawn. It's foolish not too.

3. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

Yeh that is a big problem here, people just leave money in the yard, so I always have to pick it up before mowing. The money I do run over they just take off their taxes.

4. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing a gas station Sunday, and I saw something in front but didn't have time to stop, then look over by the discharge and there was a $10 bill there. Yes, I mowed over it but was still in one piece...must of been lucky.

5. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

it's a good way to cut your costs...

6. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ah thats funny

7. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I found a buck between blades of grass. I took it home and told my wife I found money growing out of a lawn!!!:confused: She thinks Im nutty anyway I told her when the grass grows its like money coming out of the ground!!!;) ;)

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is funny! But keeping money you find on a clients property is a serious thing. That is off topic though.

9. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

money DOES grow on trees, ya know. lol

i found $100 bill once. (blowing around a parking lot) i find ones and tens often enough to believe i have magical powers.:D

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I was servicing a movie theater once and found over $30.00 in the parking lot while policing up the trash.
    One of my previous employees commented on how I always find things like this.
    My response?
    Do you job properly and you too would encounter jems like this.
    I guess that is why he is one of my 162 previous employees;)