Funny Irrigation Warranty Visit

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by csmlawn, Jul 28, 2008.

1. csmlawn

csmlawn LawnSite Member

I contacted my irrigation company to come out and perform a warranty visit to repair/replace some faulty sprinkler heads/values in my irrigation system and to raise some of the heads that either had settled below grade or were installed to deep. Well, through constant communication on my part via telephone calls, faxes, emails, I was able to get a tech out to my home a month later (first telephone contact 6/24/08) on 7/25/08. I left a remote to the garage so the tech could access the control panel for the individual zones, but I also marked all valve box locations. Each value box has 2 to 3 valves that correspond with the closest zone(s). I get home Friday evening and noticed one sprinkler head was replaced... that's it. I called the tech who left me his cell phone number to ask about the other sprinker heads, but was unable to reach him. I get a call a few minutes later from the owner of the irrigation company, asking not to call his techs. Uhhhh okay, then why did he leave me his number??? ;) Anyway, he said the tech was unable to get into the garage to activate the zones because the garage door opener didn't work or the tech couldn't figure out how to work the opener. I told him that I marked all value locations with colored flags if the tech needed to activate the zones manually. He said, how would the tech know which value worked what zone. I'm thinking to myself, is this guy serious? :confused: I said, because I've left you several diagrams of the zone locations over the couse of our contract (look in your file) and if you manually activate a value it will turn on a zone and you can see on the diagram which zone that is. Plus my zones go from 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on across my front yard... easy. Turn valve on, look and see what zone comes on, if a zone comes on that doesn't have sprinkler heads marked by flags, turn it off and go to the next valve in the box. He was still perplexed and asked but are the flags marked 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on? I told him, they don't have to be!!! :mad: Plus I marked the problem sprinker heads with flags so the tech could easily locate them. Well, I guess he'll just have to come back out... but make sure you leave a garage door opener that works so he can turn on the zones at the controller... that would be easiest. Oh and we don't warranty sprinkler heads that have settled or are too low. That's up to the homeowner to raise them. I said, but you installed them and if they were installed too low, you should raise them... correct. Uhhhh we'll see when we come back out.

Whoa!!! :wall

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Want a job? You seem to know way more than this company you hired and more than most of the entry level guys in the industry. You are absolutely correct on what you said. We, for the most part, still turn on manually through the valves and just figure out what comes on when we operate the valve. This company your paying is apparently a crock and you should find a new one.

Good luck getting it done.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

He, s pretty much looking for any excuse not to give you what you paid for.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Report back. This company sounds like fun. (to bash)

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know how you could have made it any easier for them, except by doing the rest of the work yourself.

Just asking - was this co. the original installer, and were they low bid?

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

When was the installation done?

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, the contractor does not give a rat about "word of mouth".
    Sounds like the business owner needs a lesson about civility, too.

8. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Hope the guy asking about advertising his new business tunes into this thread, learns how NOT to do it...

Yeah, let's sic WetBoots and WalkGood on him.

9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

What, are we "hit men" or something?

:gunsfirin

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

post the name....plz..we can flame