funny looking grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy, Sep 1, 2004.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

come on 92 views and no one can tell me what this is?

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

lawnboy,
    looks from the pic that you have a problem with Brome, but hard to tell as the pic is a little fuzzy. We've had some this year in Ohio as well, not that often that you see it.

3. lawnboy

What do u use on "broom." It almost looks like a cheap rye grass that is just tearing at the tips. It is spreading, and is seen in about 10 of the lawns that we mow. Any suggestions??

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I have a real hard time looking at photo's on this site, but to me it looks like bent going dormant, or just cut too tall.

5. lawnboy

Its not that james. It is in blotches in the lawn. If u look at it from a distance, it looks like ornmimental grasses growing in the yard. The tips of the grass are torn.

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

IF the frayed part to the top is not a seedhead then I'm not sure what you have there. I was assuming that the tops were panicles(seedheads) which leads me to believe its Brome or Cheatgrass. If this is true the only way to control it is to spot treat with Glyphosate(round-up).

7. lawnboy

thought maybe another pic might help. It is not seed headed. I am lost on this one.

p1 008.jpg

8. Turfguru

Turfguru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Looks to be a sedge my man. Recently mowed off seed heads I would presume. Leaves are too green and glossy to be anything else. Try rolling a leaf between your fingers near the base of the plant.....if it feels triangular then you are dealing with a sedge weed. Good Luck.

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

10. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

In the last pic it looks like poa. Interesting quote about Perrenial Rye. Its all we grow here and it is more difficult to get a good cut as compared to Kentucky Bluegrass i find. Its softer, finer, and it folds over more. A high lift blade will help you get a better cut our of P. Rye.