1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Funny lowballer story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, May 8, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

So I went to do a municipal bid for 18 total acres or so and here were my bids and the guys bids I wanted to beat:

Brant's Lawn Care (me)

13 acre town hall/park: $300/cut
    1 acre cemetary: $25/cut
    4 acre park: $90/cut
    Total price: $415/cut

Kevins Lawn Care (guy I wanted to beat)

13 acre town hall/park: $300/cut with a $15 fuel surcharge
    1 acre cemetary: $28/cut
    4 acre park: $123/cut
    Total price: $453/cut

Looks like I got it right???????

LOL NOOOOOO! Some guy came in and bid it as follows.......

13 acre town hall/park:$265/cut
    1 acre cemetary: $25/cut
    4 acre park: $50/cut !!!!!!!!!
    Total price: $340/cut

Kevin and I were talking afterwards and he was like, "What a numbnuts!!!!!" lol. I agree. I don't think that guy will last long. Another friend said, "Bob's Lawn Care, here today, gone tomorrow!!" lol:laugh::dizzy::laugh:;)
  2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

You have seen the cemetary, I assume. A one acre cemetary is harder to mow than you might think. You bid that part of the job way too low. the rest looks good.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let me be the first to predict that all of you will be determined to be lowballers shortly.

I don't even bid on jobs like that because I know I'll never get them. I would never, ever consider maintaining 18 acres of grass for what you guys are willing to do it for.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It doesnt appear that he is really that far off from what you bid, though for any of you to cut 13 acres for $400 in my opinion would be way cheap. No way would I do that much work for $400. I have low balled in the past and I am learning, but 13 acres is alot of grass! I wouldnt touch that with a 72" mower at any of yall's price! It maybe different in your area, but I think around here that price would be alot more.
  5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

All of you are way low. Should be a day rate of 1400.00 for three men. Get your prices up.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Well it is all low, I could cut the 13 acers and the 4acers park for 450$ provided I could use my farm tractor. 25$ to cut a 1 acre cemetary is INSANE, thats close to a 3hour job with trimmiing, and miss one blade of grass and your on the 6 oclock news for not tending to the cemetary.
  7. Bob's Services LLC

Bob's Services LLC LawnSite Member

Sorry you feel this way Brant. I've been watching your posts on this forum and have been impressed with how you are going about starting your buisness as young as you are. If you look at my prices the only one that is much lower is the new park. You have to realize that it's 5 acres wide open with only 1 tree and virtually no trimming. An hour at most to mow. I know my costs and I bid accordingly. You may call it low balling, but I'll be making money this year. When I'm gone next year you and Kevin can duke it out!
  8. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

OMG I didnt see that coming! The alleged lowballer is also a lawnsite member, lol. This could get interesting...
  9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

WTF how do you cuta 1 acre cemetary for 25$? It would take me 25$ in trimmer string
  10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

And $5 in gas!