Funny pipe leaking.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 24, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody having problems with funny pipe leaks? We have a customer (our install) that is having a lot of leaks under rotors. I have been out twice and found the leaks on the barb side of the elbow. We have not been using clamps on funny pipe until now. This area has about 80 psi but we have installed many homes and no leaks whatsoever until now. I think we have either some bad elbows or funny pipe. The elbows came out of CA and the funny pipe is Rainbird.

John

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My first thought is have you hired a new guy lately? Some people only push the funny pipe onto one ridge, and that always leaks and blows off.

Use Lesco Blue Twister style barbs and a Marlex El under your heads and your find a solid adjustable leak free connection.

The Lesco barb has a double helix design, and will never blow out. We have installed thousands.

Adding a marlex el gives you two ranges of adjustability on the head tilt.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are the barbed elbows a 'brand name' product? I hope you aren't operating with 80 psi in the zones. Way too much for residential sprinklers.

4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

These leaks flood the area around the rotors. No new guys, at least not yet...
    I repaired one of the leaks and used no heat whatsoever and the funnypipe was pushed on all the way.

None of the spray heads leak at all but only on the rotors. This tells me that it is not just a pressure issue.

We have been using the 1800 Retro for our drip installs.. Any chance there is a low cost pressure alternative for the whole system above??

Thanks guys (and gals)

John

5. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

It sound like possibly the fittings on your rotors. If you say its only on the rotors. The funny pipe is the same -

I never eally cared for RB funny pipe- Always use Irritrol Blue Stripe, We always use a little heat but you must heat, slip and let it cool, try not to push over to farpast the last barb

6. Dirty Water

I tell you, no heat is needed with the lasco barbs. You have to try them to believe them.

I'll mail anyone who PM's me their address a handfull.

[​IMG]

7. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

no heat on fuuny pipe. just push it on upside down then a half turn, you should never or need to heat funny pipe

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We went to a site this past week where prefabbed funny/barb swing joints were used on the original install about 12 years ago. We've replaced so many in that time with our standard swing joints that I estimate over 50% of them have now been replaced. Just have to put up with it for another 12 years and then they'll all be gone. :dizzy:

9. Dirty Water

I'm not a huge fan of prefab either.

I prefer to carry a roll of Hunter Flex pipe (HFT) and some fittings and make each one custom.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer to carry Marlex street 90s and SCH 80 nipples and make each one custom. :)