1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Funny Pipe Length?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeffinsgf, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

My yard is evolving. The "yard" is bounded by woods, driveways, and naturalized prairie plantings. As my young zoysia has set its feet and the prairie has developed its character, the edges have been somewhat fluid. The driveways have been an ongoing project as well.

So now I have a half dozen heads that I would like to move a few feet. Right now I have a mix of 6" ready made Hunter swing joints and 6" to 9" funny pipe connections. How far can I run blue line funny pipe before I start seeing significant alterations in flow and pressure? I would love for the answer to be 8 - 10 feet. I could live with 4 or 5. If it is 2 or 3, I'll have a lot more digging and gluing to do.
  2. Since you are going to have to dig up the head regardless just do a quick above ground test with the length you need and see what happens.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No problem with 8-10 feet. I will exceed 20 feet for a single head (3-4 gpm) and no worries.
  4. Ditto what boots said....I prefer not to..but I have done it....
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The most I've done is about 15 feet, and while the spray was fine, I still felt bad about it.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Start asking for some big water thru that stuff & the friction loss will kill you.
  7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I feel the same way.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Ive done some pretty long funny runs...

its not the end of the world..sometimes i use 3/4 poly when possible..

but @ times its my only choice.
  9. When I want someting more sturdy than blank netafim for drip runs I use f pipe and put in barb-barb,1/2 nt tees. Off that we do our drip runs. since I've started using Hunter swing joints my f pipe usage has dropped way down.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The pipe itself is probably less of a pressure-loss factor than the funny elbows, at least until you get to runs of 20 feet or so.