Funny pipe length

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Last week I saw an irrigation company doing an install on a new house. On a few locations,he was leaving almost 3 feet of funny pipe from the lateral to the sprinkler head. Is not that a bit much? I was under the assumption that 18" was the max that you should go.

2. Were they near curbs or driveways? If so I'd say that is a pretty good decision. I'm not sure there is a limit to a funny pipe run except following the rules of basic hydraulics.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the loss in the funny pipe fittings exceeds the loss in the pipe itself, for a 3 gpm head - you could have a ten foot run and no problems

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure there is any "rule", other than "use as much as you need to as long as it works" :laugh:

Seriously though, on installs I think 18"-24" should be max. I have seen, and even done it myself, where when adding a head due to someone else's poor installs, I will run 3'-5' of it. But very rarely. Bash me all you want Leary, but it gets the job done.

I have also fixed other people's screw ups where they have tried running an entire zone on swing pipe, or just 3-5 additional heads off of it.

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Makes sense to do that at the bed edging 'cause the LA is gonna end up moving that edger at least twice. :rolleyes:

6. Couldn't find any info at the TORO site but RB says this:

Place lateral pipe into trench, measure
    the distances between the heads as
    indicated on the original design. Lay out
    swing pipe from head back to the point
    of lateral pipe connection (saddle tee,
    PVC, or poly fitting). Cut swing pipe and
    install in trench. Design calculations for
    pressure loss should be considered when
    using lengths longer than 36 inches. PVC
    or poly tee, or elbow, should be at a 90ยบ
    angle to the finished grade.

80psi max as well. I've used funny pipe in drip or micro spray situations when I needed a more durable pipe for parts of the runs.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

a Toro catalog will have a table for funny pipe friction loss, and we have this old thread

8. Ahhh the early dazes of LS. Some real snippy there.

9. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

We're guilty of 24" or longer runs of it.

What you don't want to be guilty of is roughing in 36" of it and trimming off 12" of waste. :hammerhead:

10. You don't have a bucket for FP trims? If its 6" or longer I toss it in the truck to be found later and used.