Funny pipe to feed drip system?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Aug 13, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Can I go right from a valve with funny pipe to a RBird 1800 retrofit drip? Total distance is about three feet.

Thanks,

John

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, but regular poly would be cheaper, and give you full flow, if you reconfigured things later.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sure as long as you use a top quality Water pressure regulator..

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I do things in a similar way.

I use a marlex fitting (straight barb) directly out of the valve, and bring a funny pipe line to the surface. I then connect it to my pressure reducer/filter assembly (with another marlex fitting), and run .700 tubing from there.

I've only used the 1800 Retrofit kit once, on a conversion job, just to try it out.

5. Wet_Boots

Uhh, marlex fittings don't have barbs. Did you mean a barbed insert to MPT adapter? Or a funny pipe to MPT straight adapter?

6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was curious as to the pressure on the funny pipe going to drip. It would not be a concern when rotors or sprays but I had not put funny pipe from a valve to the regulator like this before.

Wet Boots, you just don't miss a thing. hehehe :)

John

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

I was referring to something along the lines of these, Since I use them with marlex street el's all the time I usually call them "marlex fittings", even though they aren't actually "marlex".

Kinda like calling all swing pipe funny pipe :)

Anyways, I use a 1" x 3/4" threaded reducer bushing, and then a "3/4" MPT to barb" (hehehe, marlex is easier to say) to adapt to funny pipe. Don't forget your teflon :)

8. Wet_Boots

It was all funny pipe for a time, since it was Toro's invention, although they didn't call it funny pipe at first. On an invoice, 'flex extension pipe' looks much more official, not to mention more expensive.