Funny ( Stooooopid) customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ElephantNest, May 20, 2003.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My first day posting here, so I thought I'd share one of the Oddest ( and funniest) events that has happened to me in this business.

This occured before I went out on my own, and is where the idea came for my signature. On a job one day, and finishing up. The lady of the house comes out and remarks that the lawn was cut a little too short for her liking. Then she, hold on to your coffee, asks us to re-cut it because it is too short. I spent about 3 minutes trying (TRYING) to explain some common sense to her. She did not listen, only persisted in getting "her way". No problem Maam, I'll cut it again, but not for free. Now, it was a $40.00 job if I remember correctly, so I offered to re-cut it for a mere $25.00 more. She figured "What a deal!" and said go for it. Easiest $25.00 of the day.

Now, you'd figure after seeing the yard cut for the second time that day, she'd realize her mistake. Well, if she did, pride prevented her from saying so, so she paid us and said "Thanks, looks much better now." LMAO Why can't we all have customers like this every once in a while? hehe

~Nest

2. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had one of those. lol

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I just find this so incredibly difficult to believe. How can anybody be so stupid?

Uh.....

Cut your hair, it gets shorter.
    Cut your grass, it gets shorter too.

4. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

....and cut your legs off, you'd get shorter too!

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, believe me...I was in awe...and waiting for Candid Camera guys to pop out of the bushes. This happened years ago, and we still bring it up quite often while working.

6. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

welcome to lawnsite:)

keith

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

ROTFLMAO

I can't believe someone is that stupid.

8. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I believe it completely. I have had stupid customers just like that. One lady was fit to have a heart attack when she saw us using our normal large commercial mowers on her grass. She had never seen a commercial mower before, so she assumed we were doing something horrible to our lawn, it took my poor foreman nearly 10 minutes to calm the poor lady down. He he!
    Lotsa stupid people around.

:cool:

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

They can be as slow as they want to be as long as they don't get in the way and pay their bills on time. You have to sit back and wonder how these people have survived as long as they have with minds like this.

Gravely_Man

10. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

cut this elderly gentleman's yard and he says looks good but i thought we agreed on 3" i said the mower is set for 3" i took him and showed him and the pin was still at 3", well he said i don't believe you had your mower deck down cause this is definitely not 3". so i unloaded, cut the yard again at 3" and the old fart says now thats more like it. sssssssssssoooooooo i just grin and bear it, i told him i don't know why i left the deck up on the first cut. turns out the former lawn person had craftsman lawn tractor with a 42" deck and the old man told me he always spent a couple of hours on his place.:rolleyes: ends up this is one of my better residential customers now, likes extras and doesn't mind paying.

you just got to remember your dealing with the public

keith