Funny story about having common with your sense.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Apr 24, 2003.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Iv been having problems with my 17 horse Kawasaki lately. If I shut if off hot, it wont restart. If it dose restart then it will run on one cylinder for about 3 minutes till the other kicks in. Well the other day I got finished using the mower. For some reason I wasn’t ready to put it back on the trailer yet. I wanted to be able to restart it, so I let it idle wile I did something. I was across the yard and I heard it shut off all by it self. I thought great…now Ill never be able to get it on the trailer. I went over, and pulled and pulled. This time it didn’t even fire at all.

I went off and mowed some lawns with just my ZTR, and left the walk behind mower on the lawn for the rest of the day. Later on that night I recruited a buddy of mine to help push the mower up on the trailer so I could bring it to the doctors the next morning. So the next morning I dropped it off in the pouring rain. My dealer is very good and usually takes me in right away to get me going again. I have Bobcats so I hardly ever bring it to the dealer for something broken.

I came back the next day, and I asked if they had diagnosed the problem. He said ya. I said did you fix the problem? He said ya. Then he went on to say that some guys need some common with there sense. See, this guy never just fixes your mower. He needs to give you a bunch of baloney as well.

Apparently they went through the whole machine, checking this and that. Then one guy suggested if it had gas in it?……………..Guess what??

Needless to say, I had to pay for the labor. That was the most expensive quarter of tank of gas Iv ever purchased. To top it off, I thought he had filled the tank up. I ran out of gas on my next lawn again. Then to make matters worse it wouldn’t restart because it was still hot.
  2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it is the simplest things that we overlook. Have you gotten it fixed with regards to it not starting when hot. Sounds like a coil.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for the laugh this morning. I've done some things like that myself, just zoning out.
  4. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's required that we "forget" to check the gas now and then. :eek: Why else would the MFG's keep making the gas tank bigger? :)
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a shame about the mower being out of gas but the dealer didn't find anything as to what was causing the hard starting when hot? Let us know if you take it back and what the final fix ends up being.

6. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

The reason the mower doesn’t restart when its hot, is a coil where figuring. My dealer ordered 2 new coils to see if that dose the trick.

I took the starter cover off a couple of years ago and pinched a spark plug wire when I put it back on again. From that time on, the mower developed running problems.
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a few brain farts in my day. One that I can remember real well was when I couldn't figure out why my lazer wouldn't start. I tried turning it over a hundred times. I checked the battery connection. I checked everything. Turns out it was the parking break. It was up, just not ALL the way up. So I guess all I really lost out of this ordeal was the half hour I spent kicking it and cursing at it. I apologized the next day