Funny system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

HOA . we've been managing it for years. After I found out some information I gave them a estimate to re-work it. I completed it today.

Basically

Water meter at Entrance to HOA > A 1" pipe runs up 450' > Back Flow Assembly> 2' after the back flow assembly is 1 electronic valve> the main line then goes back down 450' to a 4 zone manifold right next to the water meter> controller is next to the water meter too.

No the system wasn't looped.

Funny as hell I thought.

Today I Cut out the back flow assembly and installed it next to the water meter. I then Cut out the valve that was next to the original location of the BFA. I then installed a new valve next to the new location of the BFA ( Water meter) and connected the lateral to the old main line. Then continued the lines to run through from the old location of the BFA and valve

Wala - Eliminating 900' of Main line. My only though that they did this was they thought the place was going to be much bigger then it was.

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe they wanted to make sure the backflow was 12" above the highest head.

3. mitchgo

Maybe! It actually probably 35' vertically higher head .

With the 900' out of course the zones are working immensely better.

4. Inspired

Inspired LawnSite Senior Member

You never know what the original installer was thinking, or what the original property owner wanted him to do.

I used to tell my new Techs. Don't try to figure it out, it doesn't always make sense.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Got nothing ..... except POOP!

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

35 feet of elevation makes it a barometric loop :)

7. mitchgo

but if I didn't figure it out. I wouldn't have made $750 extra :) the little things count too!

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

sometimes it's like asking "why am i naked and who are all of these people?" :confused: do you really need to know.......

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My bigo-bigo mega has prolly 2500' of unused 1 1/4" main & 13 strand to a number of locations JUST IN CASE. One tends to plan ahead after a while.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Colonoscopy time, eh?