1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Funny things homeowners do with hardscape materials

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mbella, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a patio we installed earlier in the year. It is kind of boring, but nice (we had nothing to do with the lights.) Anyway, today, I went back to look at some other work the customer wants us to do and I found out why he wanted us to leave the leftover block and pavers.

So, I thought I'd take a few pics and have some fun with it. We installed the patio. The homeowner installed the edging around the landscape bed, the "wall" around the pond and whatever you call it around the mailbox.

Post pics of "funny hardscapes" if you have them.
  2. mbella

Here are the "homeowner specials" at the same house.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

At least i tried :realmad:
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Mike great thread, I need to remember the camera next time out. I know of a few home owners and 1 lco that makes that home owner look like an genius and a master builder :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Wow Mike, those are nice pics! :p Don't you hate when people do that. They don't realize it but it really makes a negative impact on the property as a whole when they do that. It's like my girlfriends father, he's sees all this work I do and wants it at his house but doesn't want to put the full effort into doing it 100% correct. It drives me nuts. Someday maybe I'll learn to say no to him.
  6. mbella

Did you guys notice the stack of pavers to the left of the patio in the first pic of the patio? That's more ammunition for the homeowner. We are going back in about a month to do some more work and I can't wait to see what he has created with those.
  7. mbella

Mark, here's another pic of what I found on the patio. It's a freaking ashtray/trash can that you find outside the mall or somewhere.

The good news with this one, we sold him a complete softscape for around the patio. I love it when we get to do the softscape around one of our hardscapes.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Funny stuff, Mike.

We had a guy early this year that took some leftover pavers, and stacked them SRW style along the edge of a bed :dizzy:

Then, he went to Home Cheapo, got some cobblestones, and ran them along the end of the wall another 10-15', kinda extending the wall one course. Why not just have us build a longer wall. Then, he ruined the whole bloody job with red mulch anyhow :rolleyes:

Then, complains about some of my gaps in the stairs where the caps meet the wall stone. :angry:
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Amazing isnt it ....even had a great example of how things should look and that is the best they could do. :dizzy:
  10. mbella

Kris, that's why I posted the pics. To show that there was a nice hardscape on the property to compare to, but it didn't make a difference.