Funny Toro story

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 2, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I am helping a buddy install a system at his new place and was at his house Sunday flagging for heads and painting where he needs to trench (because I'm not digging anything on it). He lives right along and belongs to this country club golf course. Well a guy came walking up that Mark knew, and the guy is actually the brother of the builder of this new house. So Mark told him what we were doing, and he said that he was a "sprinkler guy" as well. Then asked what heads we'll be using. I told him 1804s and either 5004s or PGPs. He asked why not Toro? I told him Toro is crap and repair more of it that anything else and I would never install anything named Toro. He tells me he's installed Toro for 20 years. I told him I've been repairing/replacing Toro for 15. And that was about the end of it.

He was looking at me like I am some punk kid who doesn't know squat. Granted, I do look younger than my age, especially with a new haircut and just shaved.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the guy only used 300 stream rotors and older Toro valve designs, he might be entitled to give you the hairy eyeball.

3. Maybe he was trained at golf courses...

I used all Toro for awhile as well...in the 80's and 90's....

4. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

Toro is another company that can't get it right and changes thier design every so many years and now they look like hunters too. Maybe they should have given Mr.Hunter tried to hang on to him!

5. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

"sigh" - thought I'd save sprinklerguy time and post for him

Spartan distributors is a supplier around here and they don't carry hunter or rainbird (can they be classified as a supplier then?)

anyway... there is a bigger company around here that obviously has an account with them as they advertise everything besides hunter and rainbird and a big part of their ads is how they use the "best quality parts"

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

sorry sprinklerguy... you beat me to the post AND i predicted the wrong response

7. I am WAY too unpredictable to post for ;)

Thanks anyway for the thought.....LOL

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

He said he uses the 570 and the 3000? Not sure of what models Toro has anymore. All the Toro boxes at my local suppliers have a good coating of dust on them :) :)

9. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

We have one guy out of 20 that install Toro's, he does ok but then again we have one guy that installs Maxi-paws too.....lol, I guess if you wait long enough anything can seem like a new idea!!!

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro 300's still have an enviable reliability record. Super700's aren't in the PGP class, but they still function adequately, although I'd need some compelling reason to consider installing a system of them, like a need for reliable low-angle nozzling.