Funus that turns grass leaves rust/orange color??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MacLawnCo, Aug 20, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive looked through the books that i have, and i can not figure out what this may be. In approximately 40% of one of my client's lawn, there is a fungus on the blades of the grass. There are approximately a dozen patches of the fungus on each blade. From a distance it looks to be just drough stressed grass, but i noticed the fungus powder on my deck, and it appeared orangish, almost a rust color. What could it be, and how could it be treated (yes, im liscensed;) )

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mac

I am warm season turf so I can only guess you have RUST,(Puccinia). Macozeb should help cure the problem. Add LI 700 by Loveland and it will work much better.

3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Also sounds like RUST to me Mac.... RUST is the biggest culprit here on the moist west coast and is usually taken care of with an extra shot of fertilizer and bag the clippings... It is unsightly but usually doesn't do any harm to the turf... but Red Thread could be next if left untreated... Just juice it up a bit and let it outgrow the rust and all should be fine in a couple of weeks...

Good Luck, Clay

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like rust to me also. In the past, we've had this problem extensively on our recreational fields. Both 4 Flowable Mancozeb and Bayleton are labeled for treatment.

5. MacLawnCo

thanks gentlemen

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You do seem to have <a href="http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/BP/BP-110-W.pdf">Leaf Rust</a>

And check this page for most disease reference: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/#turf

7. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

it might be red thread is it stringy

8. MacLawnCo

definately not red thread.

Thanks Jim for that link.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac,
    It is definitely RUST!!! It's running rampant here in N.E. Ohio. All the rain this summer is bringing out all kinds of disease problems.