1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Furious next door neighbor.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buddy Buds, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

Lady wants leaves mulched to build up her soil. When I do dust flies all over the neighbors drive, porch,window sills, camper and boat. I normally do this lawn while he's at work, but yesterday he got home before I finished. I apologized and told him I would blow when I finished. When I went around front to put my push mower back on the trailer he was blowing. I went over to apoligize again. He threw his back pack across the drive and turned around and went into his carport pulling his shirt off. What else could I do?:confused:

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

ummm...get as far away from this nut as possible before he explodes?:confused:

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe leave some xanax on his porch.

If he doesn't get it, oh well. The wond blows and you don't control it. If he gets too frisky, call the police.

At this point I would not step one foot on his property since he is likly to attack you if you are on his property.

Do what your client asks you to do and forget this fruity idiot!

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate when I unintentionally make neighbors upset. When working in dry conditions and the wind is blowing, there is not much you can do. Just explain to your customer that the neighbor is pissed and tell them what happened. Then they won't be shocked when the neighbor comes over a exaggerates the story and tries to make you look bad.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Go to your customer and tell her what happened. This is between her and the neighbor. She may want you to stop mulching IF she wants to keep good relations with her neighbor. The houses must be really close to each other. I often see a cloud of dust blowing near neighbors homes during leaf season, but homes here at not that close together to make a big mess

6. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

The big question is why is a grown man wearing a back pack?:confused::laugh:

How about watering the lawn real quick before you mulch to try to keep the dust down?

7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be glad it was the back-pack and NOT you....:laugh:

8. brandtb1

brandtb1 LawnSite Member

He sounds like a nice guy. I would ask your customer if she wants you to continue mulching and do what she says. If he has a problem, let him deal with her. I park my cars outside and dust gets on them even when noone is cutting near me. He needs to buy a house with a garage to keep his boat clean. I would also try to schedule that yard mid day when he is at work.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a neighbor just like this guy. He was fanatical about keeping everything clean. He even went so far as to sanitize the entire inside of his house every 6 months. And when I say the entire inside I mean the entire inside. Floors, walls and ceilings.

I used to come out in the morning and he would have gone to my truck and wrote "Please Clean Me" in the dust on the wheels. Really kinda freaky about it.

After a couple of years of this type of nonsense I decided I'd had enough. I was inside his house one day and he was telling me that my truck needed to be cleaned again. I looked at him and said that just as soon as he cleans the inside of his house I'd clean my truck. He looked at me like I had a third eye. I then took my finger and ran it over the top of the door trim leading into a hallway bath. It came down with a ton of dust on it and I showed it to him. I never heard another word again about cleaning anything.

10. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

That guy is a total jerk, he should be happy that your client is having the lawn cut. I hope he gets a neighbor one day that doesn't give a sh_t about the lawn and see how he likes an overgrown lawn full of weeds next door rather than some dust......