1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fusilade II

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by somo1, Jun 13, 2006.

1. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I sprayed some johnson grass back in the first of May and now my fescue/bluegrass lawn is dead or suppressed in those spots. Has anyone had these same problems and come up with a cure besides reseeding? Will iron help bring out the suppressed areas. Also on the Fusilade label it doesn't have a temp. rating or restrictions. Has anyone noticed this. The days I sprayed it was in the 70's but several days later we had spikes in temps to 80-90. This is why my lawn is stressed or dead in those areas. What has been some of your guys results with Fusilade II on cool-season turf to treat Johnsongrass, dallisgrass, crabgrass, foxtail and etc. What rate do you use. I mixed at the recommended rate for spot spraying and it worked great except for the stressed and dead spots.
  2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

had the same problem with st augustine not sure but i think it was the surfactant
  3. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having to reseed a customers tall fescue lawn that I used fusilade II on... I also used a sufactant... Any theories would be appriciated..

The customer has, and uses his irrigation system... but it was, and had been in the 90s when I did the app.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never used it, how ever i will say that using surfactants in dry/hot/stressed turf with any chemical is asking for trouble. if the lable says use a surfactant, then i would go light. i only use surfactants when its calling for rain within a few hours or that day. (and when doing aquatic applications where you need to use them)
  5. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Tried Fusilade on my yard over the top for some grassy weeds in my fescue. The same thing happened to me. Temperatures were mild (65-75 degrees). I used surfuctant at the rate on the label. Don't know what the deal is. Glad i'm not the only one. First chemical every sprayed out of the backpack I used. I rinsed the backpack out also before the first use.
  6. Rayholio

I've used fusilade in the past with awesome results... but I wasn't using a surfuctant back then.. the label asks for it... but Never again ! :)
  7. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

I doesn't work without surfactant. Fusilade II works through phototoxicitity and doesn't do well unless in direct sunlight. It also regulates growth of fescue. The rate for spot treatments is too high for spraying in fescues. I suggest you go back and read the entire label. Johnson grass here is uneffected at lower rates however.
  8. Rayholio

I dunno... worked great with nuthin' but a few drops of dish soap... I'll re-read the labeling though... Why not!? :)
  9. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Hey Ray sounds like we both did the same thing. I use dish soap too when spot treating. I'm going to use Drive instead.
  10. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

soap almost the same as a surfactant.