1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fusion blades any good?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by faithfulFrank, Jul 24, 2006.

1. faithfulFrank

faithfulFrank LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    I have a 52" exmark LazerZhp I bought in January of 2004. this is the 3rd mowing season with it. I only mow my own yard, so it only has a total of 130 hours on it.
    I an currently on my 4th set of blades. I've been using the notched high lift blades.
    I sharpen them every 10 hours. My problem is that they seem to wear ALOT. Shouldn't blades last more then 30 hours?? I mow a 2.5 acre yard, regular grass, sandy soil but not rocky.

The edge area gets a curved wear pattern, like if you herld it against a baseball, the curve would be the same. The blade that is doing this the most is the discharge blade....so when I sharpen them, I rotate them also.

I do have sandy soil, and my dealer suggested using "Fusion" blades. They are supposed to last 2x as long for 50% more cost. They are about $45.00 a set of three, compared to $30 for a regular set.

I was thinking of trying the gator type excalaber blades, but I've been told here that they clog and clump the mower deck.

Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance for any help.

Frank D.
  2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Fusion blades are GREAT! They hold an edge a LONG time! Try em!
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

4 sets after 130 hours? I put 500 hours a year on each of my ZTR's and only go through 2 sets per year. Get yourself a dedicated blade grinder because apparently your not very good with any other kind of grinder. I use a hand grinder myself but I admit after a while I get the angle messed up but they still cut just fine.
  4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

He is saying the corners are wearing round from use. It does not sound like he is grinding them away.

The only time I have seen that kind of wear is when the blades are right in the dirt some of the time.

How low are you cutting? Don't go by the numbers on the adjuster. Get the machine on a level floor, set the deck where you cut, then measure from the floor to the cutting edge.

The notched blades are not Exmark blades - correct? I use the Exmark blades on my 2 Lazers and never see the problems you are describing. The blades are extremely tough. 30 hours and they look new with a quick sharpening - really. That goes for my Exmark wavy mulching blades (what I normally use) and the Exmark straight blades.

Are you scalping here and there? Digging dirt is the only way I have worn the ends off blades. Are the antiscalp wheels set low enough that they do their job (but are not on the ground all the time)?

My father in-law runs a John Deere 445 tractor. He rounds the ends off the blades AND ALSO wears the sails (lift) off the blades. First time I have ever seen that. He has the same grass I do at home (right next door), but he cuts it way too short so he has the sand flying all the time. Again, I ask how short you are cutting. What you are seeing is not at all normal.

5. truevalve

truevalve LawnSite Member

yes the fusion blade will last longer than originally
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

BUT where do I buy fusion blades? I have not found a place to buy them yet....
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't find them locally Austin you can order them from this NC company. You may have to call their 800# if they are not listed on their www site because they don't list nearly everything they sale on that site, but they do have them because I have bought some from them directly.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the link Mike. I'll check them out.

How do you like the Fusions?

A Fusion set will cost $45 a set and I can get OEM blades for $30 a set. If they stay sharp for 50+ hours it is more than worth it... Only thing is they are not in stock for a 60".

What kind of a lift do they have on them?

9. faithfulFrank

faithfulFrank LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.
    I bought a set of the fusion blades and have mowed about 10 hours on them. I am happy so far with them.
    I do not hit dirt with them, but my soil is sandy. My blade wear is not due to poor sharpening.
    I am thinking of trying a set of gator blades....my friends with dixies love them for fall mowing. Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Frank D.