1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fusion Blades - Tell me the Truth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone verify or tell me what the deal is with the Oregon Fusion Blades. Excellent, average or just Junk? I use ALOT of blades every year - can I cut down on changing my blades by switching to Fusion Blades? :weightlifter:
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never used them but from what people on here say they stay sharp longer and cut great.

Just curious why you use alot of blades every year? We go through 1 set per mower each year. How are you sharpening them?
  3. 1cooltreeguy

We are in a very sandy region and go thru 7-8 sets per mower a season. Sand completely eats thru the blades.:cry:
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The fusion part is on the cutting edge ONLY. It's not going to help you where the sand is wearing the sails off of the blades. The fusion portion is also only about 3/8" wide by 3 to 4 inches in length, at least that's how they are on my blades. They MAY stay sharp a little longer, but it's really difficult for me to compare the fusion ones side by side with standard blades. Once you have sharpened then down, past the fusion part, there is still a lot of useable blade there, but no more fusion there.

With that many blades per season, and as many mowers as you have, I'd just find the cheapest supplier and buy in quantity to get the best discount.
  5. 1cooltreeguy

Jason, That makes sense to me. Did not know the facts about Fusion being on the cutting edge. Yep - the fins on the blades absolutelu dissapear and the ends become completely rounded. May last 25 hours.:cry:
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

what does that sand do to the rest of your mower btw?
  7. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Sand tears the whole mower up. The sand here in Fl is like talcumm powder. I go through one set of blades a month and the decks get eaten out as well!
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

So how do you guys stay in business with those 'dog eat dog' mowing rates you have?
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You need to look the MEG MO blades. We can save you some as you will only need to buy the knives after the first set.
  10. 1cooltreeguy

I would say that our mowers have half the life that reg. grass cutting mowers do. Kind of stinks but gives me an excuse to always be looking for machines.