fusion or gator

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tn mac, Aug 29, 2006.

1. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

Just wonder how many people in the south are happy with the fusion blade,or are you wishing that hustler would be more proactive and offer different blades for different types of turf. they currently offer 2 blades for the xr7 deck fusion or wavey,which is the mulch blade. I dont understand why there is not something for the fast growing grass in the south, the fusion is worthless if you looking for crisp clean look. and the wavey is marginal at best . I am not saying the fusion doesnt cut good it just doesnt cut it up small enough to hide the clippings like a gator blade. I have not been able to find any after market blades for the 66 so I am forced to go less then a third as fast as the mower is able to go , and use the wavey blade to side discharge. My dealer tells me he has sold 6 or 7 66 inch machines and everyone is asking for gators but hustler is turnning a deaf ear. they are telling him no one is unhappy with the fusions. I find it hard to believe that they work everywhere else but dont work in west TN. please post and give feedback if you are in the south and having problems

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think all of us would like a larger blade selection. Notched high lifts and gators would be a nice addition.

3. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

Are you guys sd or mulching? I am curious because I have and older 03, not xr7 and the rep told me to try the fusion blades. I am trying everythig I can to see what the best cut I can get before considering another mower.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They're all available. At least for the 60".

As far as the 22.5" 66" blade...give it time...They'll (oregon) will get around to it.

5. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

any good alternative blades for the non xr7 deck instead of the fusions? what about doubles?

6. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

I am having problems side discharging with the 66 xr7, that is the whole problem the deck was said to be tested in all conditions, and you were going to be able to cut in any conditions any turf. It now appears that there was very little testing, I love the mower just cant believe they dont have a blade that will work well for fast growimg southern turf, arecutting season is from may through october. you would think there would be major testing in the south.

7. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I was thinking on getting fusion blades. I better stay with gator blades. Lot cheaper anyway. Thanks Terp

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There was testing in the south, lots of it actually, and in fact there are members of LS that did some of the testing for us and worked with our engineer's.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Give us a little more detail with your problems. There have been few complaints on here with Southern grasses. Almost all were complaints were Northern and mixes grasses. Is it leaving stringers, not dicharging properly, uneven cut? You may have to go to the main forum to ask about problems cutting Southern grasses.

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I run a notched sail blade from MowMore, its a Scag, #SC 21. Other machines use the same blade. Its the best type of blade for my conditions, and reasonable price.