1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuso 4X4 Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rsails, May 4, 2008.

1. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am thinking about purchasing a new Fuso 4X4 and have a couple of questions for individuals that currently use this truck:

-cost of routine maintenance
    -how reliable
    -Gas mileage
    -how is it plowing snow( I have mostly residential driveways)?

I would like to use the truck to pull a landscape trailer, small Kuboto tractor, 5 yards or so of mulch at a time

Your thoughts are greatly apprecitated
  2. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I drive an older Fuso at my full time job. 2 wheel drive though. Its been very reliable. Stranded me once, at a wawa, the starter went at about a 130K. Also one king pin is bad, but my shop is to cheap to fix it, about a 1100 job to do both sides. But other then those two things its been a good truck. Now has a 160K on it and I have been driving for the last 2 years since it had 90K on it. Its a little bit of a dawg when hauling. I've had about 6 thousands pounds of steel in it and it was very slow. Also, the brakes are very weak with a load. I also drove an Isuzu 5.2L and it was a very nice truck. Lots of power and great exhaust brake. The Isuzu was brand new compared to a 2000 Fuso. Good luck to you.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I plow with my isuzu no problems at all. I run good rubber, ample weight in the dump body and push a 9 foot blade! I can pull my trailer with my kubota (5000 # machine) or haul mulch,loam,stone,etc. in the body. Look at what you sacrifice in payload for the 4 wd in that truck, its crazy!
  4. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks guys.
  5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I test drove a new Fuso 4x4 a couple of years ago. I liked the way it handled and drove, but even empty it was pretty slow. I thought the brakes were lousy. The 4x4 I drove had drums all the way around and even with the exhaust brake I didn't like the way it stopped (or rather didn't) at all.
  6. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yea, on the one I drive, the exhaust brake is non existant, even when it says its on. I thought it was just because it was old.