Future, give your opinions

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Willofalltrades, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in my first year of college. I know I don't need to declare a major yet or anything like that for a little bit, but I have a fork in my road. I plow snow for a big landscaping company in my area. I am 100% positive they would like to hire me full time this summer (I talked to the owner and they really want me to work for them). I also have been doing landscaping on the side for 3 years now (ever since I got my liscence). I have worked for smaller companies in the past and I have a lot of experience working with different types of equipment that is used in this industry. I think they would hire me in around $12 an hour or more. I would eventually become a crew leader and run a maintenance team (that team would consist of H2-B employees). I, on the other hand want to keep my business going. It is what I want to do after college (I want to be an Entrapreneur). I like working for myself. I want to reach a goal of 30 weekly clients. I would achieve this by distributing flyers... Now the question: Working for this other company is the safe route... Yet I know I will be happier just making my business full time and attending to that all summer (this isn't a reliable option because my advertising could fail and I could be stuck with 10 clients). What would you do? Gamble and build your business, or work for another company? If I choose to work for the other company I would sell my truck and mower, which would be about 5,000 in my pocket... that would be a nice down payment on a new car (I want a Subaru).

2. Willofalltrades

Sorry about thge long post... I have a lot racing through my mind...

3. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Assuming that you don't have a wife and kids relying on your income and your just out of high school. You don't really have un-safe option.

You could work for someone else and always wonder if you made the right choice or you can continue with school while slowly building and learning how to run the business. A business failure at this point of your life is really inconsequential as ong as you don't go off the deep end with equipment purchases.

4. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I say build your business. Take the risk, you'll make it. If being an entrepreneur is in your heart you're never going to be happy working for someone else. Just my opinion.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

All resorts back to " what do you want "

I started cutting grass right outta high school.... after a few years of that went to college became a computer engineer,,,, Loved it, for a while.... Drove me up a wall.
    all the BS...started my own company and now I'm loving life again....

6. Mowinforaliving

Hey bohiaa, computer question for you......my home page got taken over by security advertisments. I downloaded Spybot Search and destroy which took care of all the popups I was getting, but I still cant get my home page back to yahoo.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

At this stage, focus on your college education, not your business. Keep your interest in entrepreneurial activities, and network anywhere you can. Take all the business courses you can squeeze into your schedule, seminars you can attend, business-related conferences that you can find -- networking all the while. If you can be highly successful in your college career, I am sure you can find entrepreneurial opportunities that will far exceed what you could expect from a lawn maintenance business. The key here is keep networking, and keep in contact with people that can lead you to opportunities that are far beyond your imagination. For example, you time will be much better spent at an evening business function, populated with well-connected people, than out mowing grass. Don't sell yourself short with opportunities that can emerge from being well-connected with other successful people. We are terribly short of entrepreneurial minded young people -- don't let it go wasting.

8. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Roger says what I was going to say perfectly. I was you some time back (we wont say how far:cry:). I made the decision to follow one fork over the educational fork. I have to work harder than I would have had to had I stayed in school. I think being in business for yourself is the way to go if you are suited for it. It is a lot of work, but the rewards are there as well (eventually). You can still do this after you get through school and with a great deal more knowledge to go with it. Good luck with your decision.

9. Willofalltrades

Roger, I completely understand what your saying. I got a job selling cars two months after I turned 18 by networking. I had to leave that job to go to college. I am putting my education first. I'm just not sure if I should throw whatever I have put together business wise to the wind and work for this new company, or if I should hold out and just keep building mine to a full time venture through the summer.

10. Mowinforaliving

Dont throw it to the wind. What if it doesnt work out with that other guy's business? Then you've went and sold your equipment and disbanded your business. Anything could happen. He might go bankrupt, decide to sell out and move, get a divorce and have to sell all his stuff, etc... You might just not like it. Don't give up your own empire. You'll regret it. My business is my life and my passion. It's all I have next to my wife and 2 dogs. Hang in there and build your own empire. That's just my advice though.