Future of lawncare business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yokes, Nov 17, 2007.

1. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

I'm a college student and have been doing lawns part time for about 4 years. I am about to graduate and am contemplating whether or not I should go full time. My question is what do you think the future of this business will be. Will fuel prices go so high that the lawncare industry fades away or will there continue to be a demand for our services? Lawncare is what I love doing but I am unsure about the future of this industry. What do you think?

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

In some areas this industry has already faded away. Well sort of if the price you can get is $15-20 dollars on a 10k property. The industry is pretty much gone.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont know about it drying up.

I guess it depends on what type of Business you have.

If your customer base is 1/4 acer homeowners, or major contracts.

around most Cities the business has been booming for 47 years that I personaly know of.

In fact I just submitted a 67,000.00 bid.

and to be honest I really dont care if I get it or not

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

If you really love lawncare, be prepared to live well but no better than a good paying job. You can go out and snag a good job, work for someone else, have healthcare paid for, regular hours and after 5 to 10 years, an above average wage and some savings, retirement funds maybe.... who knows.

Lawncare, headaches and very low profit... if you still enjoy cutting lawns, don't dream of riches, that may never happen. Only maybe 3 to 5 % or lcos make really good coin...

Good luck

:)

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that is the big question...

6. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

I think it just depends a lot of how well the economy in your city/state/province is. Everybody with their regular jobs are getting busier, putting in more hours a week, and therefore, that leaves no time for them to take care of their own property, and thats where most of us come in. However, if the economy slows down, people start making a little less, I think that one of the first places the homeowner will cut their expenses, is in their lawn care. All in all, just look at the city you want to work in, look at its future, and I think that'll give you a good indication as to where the "lawn care business" is going to go.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yo habla Espanol?
    :laugh:

8. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Good Thread Keep the thoughts coming! Im in the EXACT boat you are in my friend!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I'm not sure if this helps but if we run out of fuel then we're not the only ones in deep :usflag:

But so long there exists grass that grows, there will be lawn mowers cutting it.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What is missing in the initial post? If you are nearly graduation, why aren't you looking for employment in the field of your study? Asking the question about working full-time in the lawn service business, after getting a college education, indicates something is askew in the motivation and reasons for spending time and money in the college experience. What are your goals? Why would you want to spend time at tasks that require little education and no experience?

To be sure, some LCOs are college graduates, some with Master's degrees -- they have posted this fact. But, I believe them to be in the extreme minority. Perhaps they migrated back to being a business owner.

If you wish to be a business owner and an entrepreneur, why not consider something that has greater potential. The turnover and failure of lawn service businesses seems to be very, very high. I have not seen any objective statistics. Wanting to start a business is an admirable goal, but your choice of what kind of business and which market sector is important. Think closely about the service or product question. Think closely about the kind of customer (e.g. low end services to residential customers -- most lawn services fit here). There are many, many choices on business startups, lawn service being just one.

One suggestion is to work with SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives). They are associated with the SBA, and can provide experienced counselors in giving advice on business startups.