FYI...Fallout from an incident in Georgia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you might be interested to know what is occuring in Georgia as a result of a recent incident with pesticides. Things like this are alarming, because you know that public outcries always seem to be trying to hurt our industry. This was somewhat of a damage control effort by some of our agribusiness leaders in the state. I was unable to attend this meeting, but it would have been interesting to say the least.

2. kjm

kjm LawnSite Member

I wish I had remembered to attend......sounded like they had quite lineup of speakers set to speak......should be covered in local paper tomorrow....I think you could read it on line........thecitizen.com

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a major lack of communication with the scheduling of spraying and playing, never should have been scheduled same day to begin with.
    2,4-D??

4. ThreeWide

5. slidell

slidell LawnSite Member

To stumper1620, how do you come up with how long to tell coaches to stay off a newly applied field(applied with weed control/fertilizer).

Are there any industry guidelines that I'm missing?

Thanks

6. stumper1620

Its on the product label, normally a minimum 24 hours, I think it might even be more for an athletic field.

7. ThreeWide

I heard more on this story today.

Apparently TGCL sprayed the soccer field 4 DAYS prior to when the incident actually occured. Not sure what product was used, but they did use tracker dye. A youth soccer player went home with dye stains on clothing. The player then reported resipratory problems. Therefore, parents concluded it must have been the cause.

The public meeting held allowed all parties to discuss the issue, but nothing was resolved. Opinons and viewpoints were shared, but that was it.

The irony of the story is that the parents of the soccer player was also a residential customer of TGCL. The particular product had been applied to their lawn numerous times in the past with no incidents whatsoever.

My editoral point is this:

Despite the mess that came of this so far, it would have NEVER surfaced if the tracker dye had not been used. Even if the child had reported respiratory problems, without the dye on clothing the link to the soccer field application would have never occured. Just something to think about.

8. stumper1620

4 days is more than long enough.
    excellent point about the dye.