FYI Glyphosate.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

This last week I have been doing some research on Glyphosate for a special use. I wanted a consistant product that didn't vary from batch to batch. What I didn't know was the Generic labeled Glyphosate I been buying, is in fact Roundup Pro formulated and Manufactured by Monsanto. However it is packaged by my supplier from tanker cars. I am paying about $ 14.50 a Gallon. My supplier is in a Buying cartel with other suppliers and must use the Monsanto Generic brands by Mutual buying agreement. BTW Monsanto no longer makes a 41% Glyphosate product and Labels it as Roundup.

My Supplier also said they were losing business to Chinese made Glyphosate selling for $ 12.00 and less per Gallon. They claim and I believe them, Chinese Glyphosate is 41% but it doesn't have the surfactants like sticker and Defoamer. They also said you can test your Generic Glyphosate by simply shaking a ready to use mix and seeing if if Foams up. How does this effect your non-select use of Glyphosate???? If the Chinese stuff isn't working real great. You might want to add some spreader sticker if you have the Chinese stuff, for a better knock down.

BTW My supplier also tells me they sell 10 times the amount of Roundup Quick Pro that they do Regular Glyphosate.

2. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

I use the quick pro just because its so much easier to deal with. The granular is so easy to deal with. I also add sticker to each batch I mix.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RBatten

I like MSO as a sticker because it is a little hot and helps burn the wax on the leaves for better absortion. But for Weeds control in Beds I think Quick Pro is the only way to go. My cost on Quick Pro is about $ 68.00 for a 6.8 pound jug. I can get 70 gallons of HIGH RATE Ready to use quick pro or a Dollar a gallon which sure wouldn't break the bank.

However I am using Glyphosate as a Growth Regulator, which BTW is what it was originally developed for. Therefore quick Pro is not the product for my

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I thought Gly was developed for the Cotton crops, I did not know it was for growth regulation. I do like it for Asian Jasimine beds.

5. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

What do you use it to regulate? Woody Plants and shrubs? I have never tried it for that purpose but do spray it strait into woody plants to kill the wonderful FL vines we have. Air potatoe for one.

6. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

At what rate do you spray it in jasmine? I have tried it at half strength and it still killed the jasmine.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RBattan

Google Chemical Mowing or check out a Roundup original Label section 8.

Turf Dawg

Glyphosate was discovered by John Franz (Google Him) who was working on a Growth Regulator and not a select herbicide. Glyphosate is the most financially successful pesticide every made. Because of Glyphosate, genetic strains of many Plants from corn, beans and cotton have been developed as ROUNDUP READY. Sorry I don't have the energy to type the whole Glyphosate story so Google it.

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I just buy generic gly 41% and mix it at 2oz per gallons and spray the whole beds. I have never tried it on other ground covers like Ivy or Wintercreeper, but I have never had any ill effects on Asian Jasmine

9. Kind of off topic question but what are you guys using to kill Virginia Creeper? I have sprayed some that is relatively small with gly mixed at 2oz./gal and it doesn't even phase it.....

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Diamond

Apparently your limited License CEU Provider failed to teach you how to read a label. I suggest you study the Glyphosate Label and find the correct rate for killing most weeds. Glyphosate will control Virginia Creeper if applied correctly.

BTW after you start using the correct rate you might want to add either 2,4-D or 3 Way Herbicide to control Roundup Resistant Weeds.