G6 Gator-How to tell from fake?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flashbang, Nov 15, 2012.

1. flashbang

flashbang LawnSite Member
    from ny

Got a set of the new Oregon G6 Gators and I read somewhere on the WWW that true Gators have a alligator cartouch stamped into the steel. I do not see this on my blades. What I have is a Oregon sticker on one side with the part number 396-727 and on the other 396-727HQ stamped into the steel. The last 3 inches on the back side of the cutting edges have a sand grit applied to it. No pics at this time. Are these the real deal?

2. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are for a 52" mower and they are 396-726, have the alligator stamped into them and also Fusion stamped into it along with Oregon and the patent.

3. flashbang

from ny

Got some pics of the alleged impostor blades. The stamping is actually 396 727 QH and it is the only stamping I can see.
    I am not strong in the photo department but this is what I have.

100_3635.jpg

100_3636.jpg

100_3637.JPG

100_3639.jpg

100_3638.jpg

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yes, those are the real deal. The "grit" is carbide dust infused into the steel to help hold the edge longer. Most fakes have the teeth turned the wrong way- towards the outer end instead of the center hole. I'm almost positive the the rep here said that Oregon is no longer stamping the alligator into the blades.

5. flashbang

from ny

Praise baby Jesus. Thank you for the info. It would be better if they stamped G6 instead of QH at the end of the part number.
    PS,
    Your signature quote is very disturbing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

LOL
    Not really, at least not if you get to know that guy here. He is quite a trip sometimes. I laughed at that line so hard when I read the thread where I got it, that I just had to use it for my signature line. Just to put your mind at ease, he was talking about the grass bags for his bagging system on his lazer Z.

7. flashbang

from ny

I'm undisturbed now that I know it was taken out of it's full context LOL. Thanks again.

8. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, those blades look exactly like mine.

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Believe me, you can tell the difference. Those feel so much stouter than any other blade out...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

... except for the Deere OEM blades. The high lifts are the same exact size as the G6's- 3" x 1/4", but the medium lifts are even thicker at 5/16" (though the medium lifts are only 2.5" wide).