1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ga. Dept. of Ag. inspection

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Jul 28, 2007.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from an inspector Friday and we set up an appointment for Monday. I have gone to subbing out apps the last couple of years so I did not renew my apps cert. in 2007. Told him this, but he said inspection anyway.
    Still have some inventory, ferts, some herbicide. Any suggestions or ideas on what to expect?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure all your product is up off the ground and stored properly (pesticides in locked cabinets, etc.). he is definitely going to want to know who is doing your aps for you. I would like to know why he is wanting to come over to you for inspection. Did you or do you advertise in ANY way that you do or sell this service? I don't know about your state, but here in Michigan, you can not hold yourself out to the public in any way that you provide any of this type of service...in any way, shape or form. This includes advertising, word of mouth, or any other form of informing anyone that you provide this service in any way. People sub here also, but it is rather tricky. A statement of service always has to be left with the property by the co. that does the ap, and technically, the lawn service who refers the chem co. cannot say that thy are "handling it". Otherwise, this then puts a vicarious liability onto the lawn service who is setting this up.
  3. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

My truck has business name & phone. Just called me out of the blue....
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Someone may have reported you.
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I totally agree with Runner. My bet is the complaint came from a competitor? Don't sweat it too much -- just treat the State inspector with respect. Then go from there. He may want to see your applicator records from when you did app's in house, cuz you probably have to keep them for X amouint of years. Also ---- clean your place up (sweep the floors, organize products in given areas, etc.) Good luck dude -- I think you will come out fine. Just don't lie to the guy, then promise you will make any needed improvements. Keep in mind....if he gives you a "violation", it's only because somebody ordered him to your place, and will most likely empathize with you.