Ga., S.C., N.C. Contractors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerManNY, Aug 4, 2012.

1. SprinklerManNY

SprinklerManNY LawnSite Member

Its time for me to make a change and considering a move down south. I've been in the irrigation industry for over 20yrs, 10 of that have been in business for myself. Have a strong, well established and still growing business, but all the hack competition on long island is making it harder and harder to profit on these jobs, they give it away for a day's pay.

How is business in these area? I'm actually most interested in moving to the Atlanta area for other reasons. I don't think I want be an owner anymore, I miss too many family functions and my son is growing up without me. Right now my family is away on vacation and I'm missing it cause work is too busy and I really can't trust the guys, certain customers I just can't take a chance with.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not put on the repairman hat and bring the kid along?

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Where on the island are you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SprinklerManNY

He's too young,he's only 5 and he does not have the personality or attention span to make the day. Besides I want him to have a better childhood than I did. I grew up working weekends with my father and missed out on a lot. I also don't want him getting use to this life, yes I do well and yes I enjoy what I do (most of the time) but its not the life I want for him. If that's the decision he makes later on in life that's his choice, I don't want him to not now anything else.

Mid Suffolk

Are contractors in those states pulling or trenching? Poly or PVC? Year round or seasonal?
    Just trying to get as much insight as possible; might help the decision or may have no bearing at all.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

trenching pvc is my guess..

I'm sure a good tech could command 50-60 K a year...

good luck...

6. Wet_Boots

you would be trenching PVC down South

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Tough digging compared to our/my sandy beach pea gravel sand.

8. SprinklerManNY

I figured that's how they did it but why? I know most of Georgia is clay but what about the other areas? Why PVC?

50-60k isn't too bad, techs making that here but the cost of living is much higher. Our taxes here are insane!

9. Wet_Boots

I guess it's kind of refreshing to not have to worry about pristine beautiful lawns immediately after installation.

PVC is cheaper than poly, and always has been.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

In NC man that was some tough stuff...I think PVC is a PITA to deal with.