gabion stone retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by crazymike, Nov 15, 2007.

1. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm redoing a retaining wall at my cottage which consists of a 300' long gabion stone wall. Currently it's loosely stacked on a ~45 degree slope backed with filter cloth

It's approximately 4'-5' high on a sandy fill base and it's primary purpose is to fight soil erosion as the water fluxuates 4'-5' throughout the season.

I would love to do it with armor stone, but we don't have $15,000 lying around for material alone.

Some day I will do armor stone set upon a gabion base, but not right now.

My question is, has anyone done such a wall using gabion baskets? I've done gabion baskets before for drainage, etc... (it's code in Toronto in a lot of runoff situations that go over govn't property) And this involves hand stacking your stone to get it nicely. Machine loading the stone makes for an uneven basket.

I would like to use PVC coated baskets such as this...
    http://www.maccaferri-northamerica.com/terramesh_1_ca.aspx

Anyone have experience in building these?

My other option is just to loosely stack it, but I'm still exploring options. I cannot use a concrete based product because of environmental reasons...

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Boulders??????

3. bigmoe66

bigmoe66 LawnSite Member
    from england

i have found a great site that is selling the stone but not sure about the construction

4. bigmoe66

bigmoe66 LawnSite Member
    from england

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you register on LS just to reply to this tread something smells fishy here

6. bigmoe66

bigmoe66 LawnSite Member
    from england

No i did register, i am going to start a blog about gabion walls and am trying to gather some interest. Not sure if you are aware but there is some opposition for gabion walls, apparently they are using to much natural resources.

7. crazymike

from Ontario

well, we stacked the wall dry with geofabric.

This was the easiest, most natural looking (also cheapest option)

It was done mainly with machine and will require to be restacked every few years.

Gabion stone is the preferred method by municipalities because it causes the least damage to the ecosystem you are installing to. Concrete will corrode and leach chemicals, etc... into the environment.

I like the looks of armor stone the most, but it's also the most costly.

8. bigmoe66

bigmoe66 LawnSite Member
    from england

would love to see some pictures, did your baskets boe, i have have found this problem

9. crazymike

from Ontario

no baskets were used. Just geo-fabric and dry stack