Gabion Wall Pricing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by icex, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will find him right. And as i said the inspector will play a part as there may be an air space limitation per basket.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. icex

icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

We plan on putting them in with the excavator and having someone in the basket move the rocks into place. I believe it's a monthlong project which is why I am estimating 20k+ in labor

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I would throw a bucket or two of rock in the basket with the mini ex then sort them in by hand. Rinse and repeat. Definitely up the reward. The only thing worse than figuring your way through a new project is doing it for free or a loss.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Damn great minds think alike
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How deep are the gabions 6 feet? are they stair stepped up to 15 feet high?

Some of that geotextile is expensive but will hold a lot of earth if you anchor it as I mentioned. I know it is more than the engineer asked for but I would not want a claim on my insurance.

6. icex

from WV

They don't call for the geotextile to be anchored. It just says to "wrap" the backfil in it which is placing it and then pouring the backfil in and compacting it.

The baskets are 3ft deep.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I understand, just saying it would be great insurance that the gabion wall stays.

Jim mentioned inspection. I am sure the engineer will be there. Are there places where work stops for inspection? If so what window does he have to come out?

8. icex

from WV

The engineer mentioned in his plans that we should have their company there to monitor wall placement. They are calling for grout to fill the open voids in the gabion rock, but all I can see that doing is trapping water behind the wall.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That is dependant upon the authorities, i assume that the RE will be on-site as well as fish and wildlife due to the creek.

I have been on many jobs where the inspectors and interested agency representives out number the working force. Normally work doesn't cease with an RE on-site.

All of the information you need should be in the bid package you should have received from the engineer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. icex

from WV

all i got was a report lol
    Posted via Mobile Device