Gain 20 customers in the middle of the year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JRSlawn, Jun 14, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys think it is possible to gain 20 new customers now that it is mid season. I was thinking of offering discounted rates to try to get customers hungry. Can some one please help. Any ideas.

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Offer your existing customers some sort of reward for any referrals that sign up for service.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Good luck. I distributed 2,962 full color, glossy, one sided door hangers last month, between May 10 and May 24. Got 10 calls. Landed 6 accounts.

I think I have figured out that it does make a tremendous difference to follow up if they don't sign up for service at the time you give them the price. Three of them signed up on the spot, three of them signed up after I followed up.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

It is possible to pick up accounts all summer. Just takes some more work. I am getting accounts every week. Mostly word of mouth. 3 I got last week, 1 not happy with current contractor, 1 lawn equipment broken, 1 I went into a real estate office and asked who was doing their mowing. They put me on a bid list and then told me she needed her yard landscaped and mowed weekly. I sold her a 500 landscape job and now mow her yard.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Very possible I picked up 16 accounts last august which still amazes me but thatÂ’s what happened. I expect to gain about 30-50 more lawn accounts this season, which is pretty likely with referrals and the fact I am over 120 accounts already. So good luck to you and let us know it you pull it off.
  7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help I let you know how I make out on this one.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I got one new account for each day of the week last week. (5 days). This next week I'm expecting the same. Just get your name out there,
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

In our experience, no we couldn't pick up 20 new accounts now.... ones that were good accounts, profitable, wanted weekly service, and were already on our driving route.
    Don't discount your rates, you'll regret it later.
  10. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

I changed my pre-season flyer a little and added 2 coupons.
    When I hit a neighborhood of 275 - for the SECOND time this year.
    I picked up 5 new customers in addition to the 23 I gained during pre-season!!

So, if you're looking for 20 new accounts after the spring rush....
    Get those flyers/ads out there! It's all a numbers game.

20 new customers @ 2~3% response rate = 667-1000 flyers.

Of course, your flyer needs to convince someone to either QUIT mowing their lawn, FIRE their current company, or OFFER them something they can't pass up!

Here's the front/back of my flyer I used. It's on neon green cardstock cut in halves (two per page)

may flyer - 2 coupons.jpg