1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gaining Commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JS Landscaping, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys, newbie here to the site. I Just became a fully legit landscaping company and want to get into the commercial market. What is the best way to 'get my foot in the door' in this market. How is the best way of approaching commercial property's for complete grounds maintenance. What is the best time? We still have plenty of snow on the ground here and the snow still seems to be coming? Good for plowing payup . Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

James Soutar
  2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, we're also newbies and I don't know anything about actually GETTING the accounts, but I've got an insight on how to at least be invited to bid - it's actually the same as in the rest of the business world - networking, networking, networking. We've gotten invited to bid on two commercial accounts this season (this is our first season). I should mention that we weren't even going to ATTEMPT commercial until our second season, but these two kind of fell into our laps, so we figured we'd take a shot at getting the bids. One is an apartment complex. My partner's mother cleans houses part-time and the owner of the apartments is one of her clients. She mentioned her son was starting a LCO and he called us and asked for a bid. Second one is a HOA. My partner's wife is a teacher and one of her best students' mother is the VP. His wife mentioned to her that we were starting a business and she said the HOA is in the middle of deciding whether or not to fire their current guy and we'd be the first ones asked to bid if he does get fired. So we haven't gotten either of these jobs yet, but it's pretty neat just getting to bid based on people we know who like us. So let everyone you know know you're starting a business, and who knows?
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

JS, you guys better have your SH!T together as far as insurance, and some type of business portfolio with some refferences, insurance documents and a small cover letter kind of explaining about your company and what it can do for them. I knew a guy who thought he could just walk right up to a bank and ask for a bid invitation and he had I think just a business card on him at the time and they pretty much laughed him out of the office. I have used a phone approch and ask for the property or office manager and see if they are accepting bids for this upcoming season, if yes then set up an oppt. Also I have had luck with calling property management groups and realestate outfits. I said you better have your Sh_t together only because when I started going for comm. accts. I didn't really know anyone in this business so I had to find out the hard way a couple of times. I didn't know about this site then but glad I di now! GOOD LUCK
  4. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

hey thanks for the help guys, i didnt realize gaining commercial accounts was that difficult. I am insured, and have the business licence, and do have referals, but what should i put into a portfolio? Do you think being 18 also would hurt my chances by not being taken seriously?