Gaining Knowledge

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by StBalor, Jan 21, 2007.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

After reading the post "How many of you have the knowlege, or just do the work???" i decided to look for seminars in my area. Although i did not find to many, i noticed quite a few in neighboring states.
    My question is what seminars would people reccomend? what seminars should i be on the look out for? i would not mind driving 2 hours for a day long or half a day seminar to gain some knowledge.
    I have been doing mow and go for a number of years and would just like to gain some knowledge and possibly expand into lawn renovations and such.

2. CA CLT

CA CLT LawnSite Member

All of the seminars or study you do should culminate in a tangible end result, like certification, a degree, a contractors license, or applicators license. Learning is good, but gaining knowledge is only half of the equation. You'll be well ahead if you use the knowledge that you have gained to give you a competitive edge in the marketplace.

Seminars might be OK, but often they are overpriced IMO, and give you nothing tangible in the marketplace. I would study books that would lead me to one of the objectives I mentioned above.

You should probably browse the PLANET site, as they have trade shows, seminars, and study materials all listed that would definitely benefit you.
    http://www.alca.org/cms/home.html

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Day courses are OK, but you get what you pay for. Classes that last a week or even a few days are going to be alot more informative, especially if they're hands on. State Colleges are always offering these classes at this time of year. Though, whatever you learn, when you get into the field and have a couple of jobs under your belt, you'll develope your own techniques. Every job is a little different.