1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gaining more accounts in certain neighborhoods....advice?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

Try putting some "time" in. When we were slower and wanted more work in the neighborhood. We would work slower at the account or chat with the costumer(up sell). Arrive at different times and days. Brake up the extras into smaller jobs. Use the nearest gas station. Drive around the area before and/or after servicing the account. Be creative. I find this method works well. It also goes hand in hand with good service. Often the good costumers are loyal to their lawn turd. But, The will come you way in due "time"
  2. PostcardMania

PostcardMania LawnSite Member

Why would direct mail be 'worthless'? Have you done direct mail in the past with little to no results? If yes, there could be a number of factors on why it didn't work (mailing list, design, contact info, offer, etc.).

If you'd like to explore this idea again, I suggest you take a look at some other successful direct mail campaigns. May spark some ideas!

Here's a link to a report which has 7 real-life landscaping campaigns: http://goo.gl/39Inv
  3. Day off?

Day off? LawnSite Member

Just like someone already said... Offer discounts for referrals. Wave to the neighbors when you drive by and make small talk with them if possible.
  4. It is worthless. I did 3 in a row spaced out 2 months to the same neighborhoods. Postcard design was great and the incentives were good. I spent thousands and got nothing in return plus a lot of wasted time. That is what I call worthless.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Diamond, I PM'd you a question; I have my 2nd qtr brochure, do you want it?
  6. jvanvliet

Mailing campaigns are a low return marketing effort. If you can get 1% on a mailer, you are doing good. It also requires a long term consistent approach to a large database. Lot of us don't have the kind of profit margin to support a long term shotgun marketing program.

That's why a targeted program makes more sense to me, it's cheaper and the returns are higher. Like a mailer campaign, consistency remains the most important element.
  7. Yes, I would thanks. I don't have what you asked tho
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jvanvliet

Any MS office product?
  9. Yea I have office just not publisher
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on your time frame and the restrictions in place, I would continue to do a quality job at a fair price. No amount of advertising will sell your self better than a happy customer. If the One account you presently have likes the work you do you will have more customers in time. That way you can gradually build your customer base and rep at the same time.
    easy-lift guy