Gaining More Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Jan 16, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

In Reply to my recent thread...some of you guys are sounding like ""Oh My God How Did You Get 34 Accounts Already and 2003 Is Your First Season?"
    Just curious if I have some kind of marketing technic that some of you dont. I'm just curious as how most of you gain new accounts. Keep in mind I live in the Chicago-land area, so there are millions of residential accounts to be had, and thousands more built each year.

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

My reply in the older thread:

i could spend $300 and get 100 accts if i priced them low enough...but why would i?

understand closing a very high % of your quotes is a BAD thing...

3. precisionlawn

FOR YOUR FIRST YEAR? IM NOT DISAGGREEING, BECAUSE I DONT KNOW, BUT WHY WOULD CLOSING YOUR QUOTES BE A BAD THING? IM LOST ON THAT ONE

4. bubble boy

closing too many is a bad thing.

you may not be doing this, i don't know, but i can quote all my estimates at a rate of $15/per man hr. i'll get a TON of people signing on. good thing? NOPE.

BANKRUPTCY by june.

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Because, if no one turns you down, you are working too cheap.
    Crawdad

6. precisionlawn

I dont quote by the man hour. i give them a quote on how much it is to cut there lawn. base price

7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

What everyone means is that if most of the people you quote sign up, you are probably quoting too cheap a price. If you are pricing the jobs so that you can make a decent profit, you will probably not get over 25% of your quotes.

Also, look at it this way, would you rather do 50 accounts for $25 per cut or 42 accounts for $30?

The 42 accounts will yield a higher gross with less work.

The goal is to work smarter, not harder to generate the same or more income.

If you get loaded down with non profitable accounts to start with, you will either not have time to take on newer, more profitable accounts, or have to dump these initial accounts so that you can take on better paying accounts.

Good luck, it is great to gain the new accounts, but make sure you are pricing them so you can make money.

8. precisionlawn

I put out 1000 door hanger and almost 300 biz cards at different place. and i only have 34 accounts, i have turned down somea swell. and that well less than a 25% rate of gaining accounts. if you have seen the lawns that i do , they are very small, like I said they can be completly done in 30 min give or take, i think $25 is not underestimating at all.

9. bubble boy

i quote by price too. but as to what we are saying, i meant say i quoted the props you do at $7.50 per cut, or $15 per hr. i would be busy, and poor.

bruces is referring to closing 25% of your quotes.

for any type of mailing a return call rate of 3 or 4% is generally assumed.

so something is up, or your market is INCREDIBLE.

from your #'s you have done like 140 quotes from 1300 mailings?

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

precision lawn,

your responses are phenomenal. I agree that $50/hr is not bad at all, assuming they take no more than 25-30 mins. Hey, look at your pricing this way: you will find out in short order if you can make it or not. ;)

To get the closing rates you have gotten, most lcos would have had to mail between 6800 and 13600 pieces. Thats 1-2% response on mailings, with 25% of responses closed. Now, do you understand why we are so shocked?