Gaining more Accts,

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RedWingsDet, Dec 18, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Hey guys.... I have about 40lawns set up for next season... I would like to gain about 30 more before the spring....

Im planning on going in the yellow pages in jan... and putting out probably about 5k flyers. and targeting the same houses over and over again, like advertising the same houses 2 or 3 times maybe even 4 times before the spring.

Anyway, I started in march with 6 customers, and by word of mouth I gained up to 50... and I have 40 set for next season, and want to gain more. Anyhow, what do you guys reccomend to get more people before the season begins?

do you think yellow pages, local directorys, krogers, and the flyers will help some?

I had 15k flyers sent out in the mail last year (it was late in the year though like may) and i didnt even get one call, so this year im going to do the flyers myself, with the doornob hangers from nebs or something.

Thanks guys & gals.
    Have a Safe and Happy Holiday!!!!

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Never too soon to tighten up your route. I would first try hitting up the neighbors of your customers, odds are they've seen you before, I'd just introduce myself and leave them with a business card. Nothing too pushy of course, but a lot of times if you make the effort it'll pay off.

Also hit targeted areas in the spring with flyers/doorhangers. Yellow pages will get you a lot of random calls from all over, that's OK for a nice install job, but not that great for regular mowing customers.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

15,000 flyes and NO calls? Even in the month of May I would think you would get something. What was your method of delivery?

4. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

its a company called c&g newspaper, they make a design flyer. and then sent it to 15k homes around my area, it was the type of flyer that goes through the USPS. ended up costing me around $600 and didnt get one freaking call!

5. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We have found that people will keep the flyers, for months, and then call us when they are ready. So I would quess that you still might get calls on these down the road. Just keep it up!

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Tighten your route as much as possible and if you are relatively samll pass on the yellow pages. Word of mouth will land them quick enough. Got phone number on truck already? You may even have to do a little door to door. At least they can see you then they have to listen to your pitch. A flyer can just go in the trash.

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I have numbers on all the trucks. I also do leave my card on their neighbors. I currently have 40 for next year, I had 50 this year.... So hopefully I can gain about 20 or 30 more even more..... I think I may do some sales pitching.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The Yellow Pages works great for me. It's my #1 mode of advertising, and I increased the ad size this year. And I also put in the ad the cities I work in, and re-emphasize those areas on my voice mail. Usually my calls are all in the area I work in, and those that aren't I don't do estimates for anway.

:D

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi PremierLandscaping,

As HOOLIE said
    We had these flyers made up with this concept in mind. You can use these to hand out to the neighbors of the lawns you currently service.

Click image for link.
    [​IMG]