Galion road grader barely cranks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Travis Followell, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a old Galion 303 grader with a 6 cylinder IH diesel thats been sitting in the barn for a couple years and we tried to get it started today and it will just barely crank. It will turn over slowly a max of 3 times. The battery is good. We have a huge construction equipment battery on it fully charged and even put the charger on it on fast charge and it still just barely cranks. We tried 3 different batteries that we're all good so that rules that out. I was thinking maybe the contacts in the soleonoid are corroded and aren't transferring enough power to the starter. The battery cables and starter cable are all new. Any suggestions?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If the battery and cables are new and properly tightened, the only thing left if the starter. I am assuming its an IH 466. I would check to see that the starter is pulling the correct amp. Or pull the starter and have it put on the bench and checked out. Sounds to me like it is not getting enough juice. The engine is very common and rebuilding the starter if needed isn't a big deal.

3. Travis Followell

from KY

How do I check that the starter is pulling the correct amps?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would contact the CASE IH dealer in your area and speak with the service department. I can't remember what the starter is supposed to pull. Have the serial number off of the engine and starter if you can see it to confirm that it is a 466 and the service department can tell you what it is supposed to pull and how best to test it.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Jump the solinoids if you want to check the starter or put the juice right in the starter terminals. Does this engine have a pony motor on it?

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A engine that has sat for 3 years would be pretty dry. I would probably change the oil and filter to start with. You don't want that old acidic oil flowing around the engine again.

I would also try bar the engine over to see if it has some rough spots where the pistons stuck in the cylinders. If the thing has a block heater plug it in she will start better if its warm old International 6 cylinders are a biatch to start when they are cold. When they do start it will belch blue you probably won't beable to breath in the barn from the exhaust smoke then that sucker does start.

My first question is the starter 12 or 24 volt ?

To start a old International you need a minimum 8D battery if its 24 volt you will need a pair of 8Ds. Try not to use ether on it if you do a little snuff.

7. Travis Followell

from KY

No pony motor.

We tried putting the juice directly to the starter. We took the charger and put it on high and clamped the negative to the frame and pos to the starter and it wouldn't do anything. I don't know if that was the proper way or not but i'm guessing the paint was keeping it from grounding and thats why nothing happened.

8. Travis Followell

from KY

We drained the oil out and filled it back up with 5-w-30. We figured the thinner oil would help it start easier. Its got a good block heater. We had her plugged up for several hours and it had the whole block good and warm.

It must be a 12 volt cause the battery that was used on it back before we parked it was a 1000 cca 12 volt. Funny thing it cranked just fine back when we last used it. We put the either to it. Heck, you have to if you want the old thing to start. It won't even start in the summer without it.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds more like excessive compression or a siezed piston to me.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats bypassing the solinoid and if you had a good ground it should have turned over the same as it did in your first post or a lot better. If you got nothing you have a bad ground. Pull all the wire to the solinoid and clean the heck out of them. cover them with some dialectric grease and grind a spot to clean metal on the frame/ body to hook your ground to and retry it. If it still won't turn over pull the starter off and bench check it, you can do it the old farm way and hit it with the jumpers and make sure the bendex is turning freely. I've seen where a lot of corrosion has slowed the speed of the bendix turning with the same results you stated turn over real slow a cple times and quit TILL the starter cooled for a min and then it would repeat itself.