Gallery and Eptam in shrub beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Oct 16, 2007.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have experience with Gallery or Eptam pre-m's in shrub beds?

Thinking about switching to Gallery for spring application (Dimension + something else in late summer/fall), expensive yes but my high end customers won't balk if I charge a little extra if it's a better material.

And...a customer asked me to apply some Eptam for them that they had sitting in the garage. I've never paid much attention to it before but it is labeled for purple nutsedge contol which would be VERY nice if it works well. Unfortunately the label recommends incorparating to a depth of 6 inches which typically isn't helpful in my situations. Anyone used this before?

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

gallert is a great preemergent, It can be sprayed over the top on most shrubs. I have yet to find a shrub that is harmed by it. When I use it here in s. fl the only weeds it seems to miss is hyssop spurge and one or two others that escape me right now. Eptam needs to be incorporated into the soil ofr it to work preemergently more used in ag industry.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, why are you thinking of changing? And what are you changing from? What were your problem weeds? Are you definately staying with a sprayable pre-emergent combo, or would you consider a granular program of something like Ronstar or Snapshot, with the use of Casoron G in very select places where control of thistle is needed? (away from any chance of leaching into turf)

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to keep this short. I don't have a great reason to change really. I prefer to stay with sprayable pre-m's. In the non-lawn areas I used Oryzalin + Pennant in the spring and switched to Dimension for the late summer/fall. I burned up all the Oryzalin and was happy with it but would rather not use it again because it's messy. Dimension worked well but I don't like to use the same material all year long, year after year. I bought a bunch of Prodiamine recently at a very good price and was thinking Gallery + Prodiamine would clobber practically everything I have through the spring and into summer and then follow up with just Dimension. Gal + Pro handles chamberbitter, fall panicum, and junglerice (which was everywhere once the Oryzalin wore off).

Without a pre-m for it, purple nutsedge was f$#@! everywhere all summer so Eptam looked like a good deal but I can't till up all the beds 6" deep to make it work. In a some places I would soil inject it or drench it if it was a liquid :).

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member