Gallery, length of control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Nov 6, 2007.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

After reading and rereading the Gallery label several times there is no mention about the length of control to expect. The closest I could find was the max app rate was 1.33#/acre and the maximum per year was 4#/acre so I guess I could interpret that to mean roughly 4 months of control from a high rate application. Is that about the length of control you guys get?

2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

In our experience in the Northwest on ornamental beds 4 mos. (3 x year) is about as far as it will stretch. Rainfall and/or irrigation play a big role in the length of control. Excessive water can shorten the effectiveness by as much as 50% depending on the season. We haven't used it on lawns.
    Neal

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Neal, What is your experience with Gallery in flower/shrub beds that are mulched? Is the gallery still effective or does it get tied up with all the organic matter. How do you apply it, granular or liquid.

4. PHS

Thanx Neal, I'm going to be using it on shrub beds too.

5. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

There you go:http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/gallery.htm Eight Months!

6. PHS

Thanx Roots. Would be nice if they mentioned that on the label :). It does say "up to 8 months", meaning best case scenario. With the heat, humidity, and rainfall down here it probably wouldn't hang on for more than 6. I got about 4 months out of Dimension this summer.

7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Grandview,
    We use Gallery on mulched beds (fir/hemlock bark, compost, wood chips etc.) with the same results. If the treatments are disturbed by cultivation or transplanting, the control period is shortened. Even though the label may claim longer control, our experience has been 4 months is about all you can expect at the 1# per acre rate. Gallery is a water dispersible granule for spray application. A backpack works good if the nozzle choice allows application under low hanging branches. A hand held shower-head gun is good for faster coverage with more water carrier. It's a bit spendy at higher rates but worth the money in our opinion.
    Neal