Gallery vs. Snapshot ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ted putnam, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've recieved a couple calls and a couple requests regarding weed control in beds. I have very little experience in this area but I am noticing that it could be a very lucrative upsell and I plan to mention in my prepay letter that I will be offering it along with a couple other services. I've already compared costs and for me Snapshot is pretty much double the price of Gallery per k. I'd like to know some of everyones thoughts on how they compare as far as results... speaking from personal experience of course. Thanks

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've used both and prefer Snapshot but it's so ridiculously expensive. I still use snapshot at the moment but I plan on trying others to save money.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Gallery is only for preemergent control of broadleaf weeds. You might have a problem with grassy weeds if Gallery is applied by itself. I tend not to sweat that because of the many options for grassy weed control in beds. But if you are after total control of all weeds, something like Barricade, Pre-M or Surflan should be in the mix. In my market, if you do not do weed control in beds, the account goes to someone else that does. Even if that someone else is a nonlicensed, lowballing hack. Because I do not have winter here, I have a good idea of what kind of weeds are going to be a problem. Snapshot granules is Gallery and Surflan. Mix your own and spray it out, enjoy superior weed control vs granules at a better price. Also, I do not apply preemergents unless they are going to be watered in within 24 hours of being applied. In the case of Ronstar Flo, you the applicator must water in the application.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to try to 'mimic' Snapshot in a liquid formulation, you'll certainly want to think about tank-mixing Gallery with something else, so that you can get a broader spectrum control on the monocots, too.

Gallery's label, by-in-large, lists primarily dicots (broadleaf) weeds.
    You'll likely never get the same level of control with 'grassys' as you would with Snapshot, with even the maximum rate of Gallery, because it's just NOT in Gallery's chemistry.
    (Believe me...I've been there...and RE-done this!! :cry::cry:)

I myself would probably go with either Dimension 2EW or Pendulum Aquacap.

I've been using Pendulum Aquacap for 3 years now...GREAT product! :)
    Not the same as PRE-M, as far as staining is concerned, by a LONG shot!
    Doesn't stink like PRE-M EC, either! :cry:

The Dimension 2EW is a new water-based formulation. Less volatility. Safer around plants for sure! Might be a little more expensive, I dunno.

But you'll have to do the math.
    Hypothetically, tank-mixing one of these two products, is it cheaper going this way, or not?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. greendoctor

1 gallon of oryzalin 4L(Surflan) and 1 lb of Gallery DF is equal to 200 lb of Snapshot per acre. My cost on the oryzalin is $120/gallon and Gallery is $165/lb. A 50 lb bag of Snapshot is $120 per bag or $480 per acre. $480-$285= $195 difference. I get more consistent coverage and weed control as well from the tank mix. In the early 90's Snapshot was available as a DF as well. Forgot how much that costed per acre, but it was less than the Snapshot G. Don't understand why Dow dropped a great product.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Oryzalin has a long, fine history of success, no doubt!
    But it also has the notorious reputation of ORANGE-YELLOW STAINING, not unlike the precursor to Pendulum Aquacap, "Pendulum EC".

Unquestionably, now that the patent rights are off, oryzalin is tough to beat price-wise.
    Just keep if off white vinyl, new concrete, any "new" surface you don't care to come back and scrub later!

7. greendoctor

Never had to clean it off of non target surfaces. That is why I apply in beds with a 23L 7676-24 gun and a fan tip. A regular wand will leave orange dots on walkways. Surflan is not something to give to a jock who needs to prove his manhood by hosing down 5000 sq ft in a minute. Yes, I work slow. Sure, there is a faster way to do everything. But all of that is like winning a nickel in the lottery when you have a mess of some kind to clean up. Be it granules or spray stains on hard surfaces. Snapshot and Pre-M G are terrible if left on concrete. Can you say orange polka dots that are hard to clean off.

8. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I use Pendulum Aquacap or Pre-M Aquacap. If you use the Pre-M make sure you spend the extra $ and get the Aquacap. It is a much cleaner product (less staining). Snapshot is good, but it is expensive. I also find it easier to spray a liquid rather than trying to put down a granular, especially on large hillside plantings.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

When using liquid do you have trouble getting it around and under shrubs? Or do you only apply to the obvious open areas in the landscape? I see a lot of weeds that grow up right thru the middle of various shrubs... To me it's easier to apply granular because I can throw it right over the plants and it sifts down to the ground. I'd be fearful of spraying over the top of most landscape plants, plus liquid would just stick to the plant, not get onto the soil... Well, unless you followed the app with a watering. (I think I read on here about someone who does that, Greendoctor? I think)

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i would use snaposhot. it has gallery in it and does wonderful. sure it is expensinve, but so is the application- you get what you pay for in service---it is all about timing and getting it watered in well soo after application. it takes two apps 4 weeks apart in spring and it is recomended on the labe to follow up with a fresh mulch. i have seen a big deference in apps done that do not get the fresh mulch, as in rock beds and cheap csutomers on the mulching every year. it does very well, will not get them all. the more you use it and make sure to kill off the things that do break through the more luck you will have in subsequent years. one thing i have noticed in particular is the vine weeds like milk weed and etc really are not controlled. we put a program with repeat visits using round up and hand pulling in some areas to complete the program through the year and to continue to gain control of the ones taht make it through.