Gallons of fuel needed to mow an average acre

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Energy Study, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Energy Study

Energy Study LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am conducting an energy study on roadside mowing and need to figure out how much fuel (gas or diesel) it takes to mow an average acre of roadside turf. Alternatively, please let me know how many miles per gallon you can get while pulling a batwing or other device with a specified cutting width.

Thank you in advance.

Energy Study

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It is going to vary. You might look on Exmark's website. I know they put a chart in there brochure and I'm pretty sure they have it listed somewhere on there website.

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas Or Diesel??...How deep is the grass/weeds...and what machine are we running on the job...thats the first 3 major factors that come Into play at the top of My mind.
    Normally the diesel will get the better millage...I would have to say just less than .25/gal to cut the acre...with a Diesel Z.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

There are to many variables, a 100 hp. John Deere pulling a 15' fold up rotary cutter at 8 mph on a smooth road median with medium size grass will probably burn in the 7 gallon an hr. range. 15' wide times 8 mph times 5280 divided by 43,560 = 14.55 acres per hour in a straight line. 14.55 divided by 7 = 2.08 acres per gallon of fuel. You can take that equation and figure any other variable you like.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, too many variables. At the right time of year on the right lawn I could mow an acre of grass with a pint or less of gas with my EFI 15 MPH Dixie.

6. Energy Study

Thank you very much for trying to help!

I understand that it is too general (believe me, it's a pain to write this document!).

How is this:

• Mowing roadsides in Florida
    • About once a month (i.e. pretty rough and tall growth)
    • At least 12' wide mowing deck
    • Only diesel

Again, I am looking for an average number, for budgetary purposes only, not a best-case scenario. Once again, thank you.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Ball park guess:= .14-.27/Gal. Per Acre
    PS :Mower specs. are necessary.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

60 hp. Kubota figured at 3 gallons per hour with a 12' cutting width at 8 mph with 60% efficiency. This would be 7 acres per hour at .43 gallons of diesel per acre, if you are not turning and your speed is not dropping your efficiency will go up and your fuel usage will come down.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, now you want to get picky.:)

10. Energy Study

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I spoke with a couple of large commercial contractors, they quoted anything from .5 - .9 for normal grass to 1.5-to 1.9 gallons if the grass is overgrown. This is from their daily logs, so probably takes into account turning and idling as well.

They are using very large equipment (min 90 hp tractors), is that normal that fuel efficiency drops so much? Seems that there is no economy to larger, 20' batwings, either.