galls? (baldcypress)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 31, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Never saw anything like these before (here or down south). Any ideas what type of galls these are? Any control?

20 foot baldcypress located in West Des Moines. Full sun exposure. Galls were on nearly every branch - especially on the lower 2/3rds of the tree. The trees is very healthy with very healthy needles. I placed a nickle in the photo to guage the size of these semi-hard galls. This pic was taken this afternoon.

rscvp Thanks :usflag:

baldcypress galls.jpg

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

cypress twig gall midge
    The flies overwinter as larvae on the ground in the galls, pupate in the galls in spring, and the adult flies emerge later in the spring for an extended period of time. The female midge oviposits on the new developing foliage and the midge larvae induce the gall formation by the leaflets
    I had good control (90%) using orthene 1# rate when the foliage was expanding, at full leaf, and 3 weeks later.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks much . Jeff Iles (ISU) just confirmed it too. I appreciate your expertise, and I'll use Orthene on it next spring like you recommend.

Thanks again, americanlawn:usflag:

4. americanlawn

from midwest

Another ISU professor also confirmed your diagnosis today. She sent me this link from the University of Florida.

http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/400.htm

She indicated that thiese are very rare in the upper Midwest as they are most common in Southeastern states.

Thanks again for your prompt response and your method of control. :waving:

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Do a good cleanup this fall when the foliage drops. That will also help you out on the control.

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks dude.

:usflag: