galute

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by galute, Jan 10, 2007.

1. galute

galute LawnSite Member

i have played with walls, driveways, etc in past. not consistent enough to say its my business ( I'm mainly a turf guy). However, I have a costumer who wants a in ground fire pit. Question: Is granite the only stone type to use for block around the pit? Thanks for advise,

2. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

No, you can use block. We build the fire pits out of natural stone, or dry stack block.

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

EP Henry recommends using those curved concrete blocks used to build up man hole covers behind the wall if you use their block on the out side. if its in the ground we always use granite cobblestones turned up right around the perimeter.

4. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

We had a homeowner call us who put in his own patio. Well he made a circle pattern where he was going to put his outdoor fireplace (a home depot metal model), but he left the circle open and tried working from the outside in and somehow made a large egg. So he asked us to take out circle and put in an EP Henry firepit. We basically used the block like you said on the outside and put his round firpit inside so the fire is actually at the top of the pit. The whole was against our recommendations, but he got what he wanted.

5. McKeeLand

Here are two pics of fire pits that we did on paver patios

rb pit.jpg

scan0001.jpg

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Not to be ignorant but I am, who is EP Henry?

7. McKeeLand

They are a big hardscape manufacture in the north east here.

8. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing a raised firepit right now using nicolol mini colonial block lined with fire brick. HTH

9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

For a fire pit installation, you can also use firebrick from any masonry supply to line the inside of your ring, whether raised or at grade. I prefer when the pit is raised for safety. Less chance of someone stepping or falling into it, especially when there is a fire in it. Granite cobble stones set vertically also work well. Any concrete product subject to high heat can crack and crumble, so it is always best to line the fire pit with a more durable material.

Kirk

10. galute

galute LawnSite Member

thanks for all the info. looks like granite coblestoneto ring the pit is best way to go for saftey and durability.