garbage picking while working

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Sep 18, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You guys ever do this?
    Matt calls me on the cell a few minutes ago, and says, "you won't believe what I found in the garbage." I said, "oh no, what?" He says, "a remote control airplane." I said, "what?, are you sure it was being thrown out for garbage?" He says, "ya, i looked all thru the garbage to find the remote control, but I couldn't find it." I said, "well if they are throwing it out, then it doesn't work!!" He says, "i'm bringing it home now." I said, "WHAT! NO, keep that thing at storage." He says, "it's too big, i need to get it home to keep it safe. I'll find a place for it this evening." A few minutes later he rolls up, and THIS is now what sits on our deck. You've got to be kidding me. :dizzy:
    This wasn't even picked at a customers house, I guess he saw this at one of the neighbors garbage. :hammerhead:
    How many of you pick thru the garbage while you are on site cutting grass?
    I'm ashamed. :cry:

IMG_2977.JPG

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

only the recycling bin if i see coke points on the empty cartons or bottles. :waving:

3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Under the right circumstances I might go dumpster diving..

[​IMG]

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I will pickup stuff if its useful, other than that I will let someone else get it. I surely dont need to bring anymore junk home!

5. Vikings

from canada

We always leave stuff like old computer monitors, tv's, chairs etc. and people will take it. I seen some kids take one of my old 21" monitor that weight about 120lbs lol.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of throwing stuff away...ever try to throw away an old trash can, like a trash can that you dont want anymore? The last one I tossed took a few times before I finally got it taken away.

7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Im guility of "TRASH PICKIN" myself. I picked up 12 nice high back green outdoor chairs, cabinets, a mower or two and once a 3 series John Deere tractor w/bagger and cart. Most of the time its nothing I want but ya never know if ya dont look!:)

8. Vikings

from canada

OH man, that would confuse most garbage men.. a conundrum of epic proportions.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's funny,and it's happened to us before. I actually put a sign on the trash can, "please take this with you, it's garbage."

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't found much dumpster diving but I have found over $100 at a time in parking lots while policing up trash.
    Finally I found a useful tool to demonstrate the necessity of walking the p/l of the local multiplex cinema my company maintains.
    Once I found the money clip I approached the office manager who said she would "hang on to" the money and see if anyone claimed it - yeah, right!