1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Garbage Truck for cleanups?? I saw it today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine in the business recently bought an older, full sized, garbage truck for removing and hauling clippings/leaves. I tell you what, I think he's got the right idea. He can really load it up and dumping is a flip of a switch. He does alot of thatch and leaf removal in the spring and fall so it was deffiantly worth the investment for him. I will try to post a picture of it later on.
  2. That sounds pretty cool, let us know how it works out.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like that could be a good idea...I would be interested to know how he makes out.
  4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I've always thought that would be a good idea. How much did the garbage truck cost? Do you need a CDL?
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

IF it has air brakes (probably does) you would need a CDL. Even if it doesn't, there would be some other restrictions that might force you to have a CDL.

I think it is a heck of an idea to haul the debris around. I bet you go a week or more with out unloading. But the smell would kill you.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A WEEK!? I bet you could go all season without unloading. Those things will hold aLOT of stuff! Man just think, it wouldn't matter what you put in there, brush, debris, larger branches, the compactor would still just crush it. I think on of the neatest things I've ever seen one of these things take, was an old snowmobile. It was at a gas station, and these two guys lifted it up onto the back, and the thing came down and took it in two seperate bites.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to see some pictures. I bet it would be a real cool thing to have a garbage truck all lettered up as a lawncare truck. sounds like a good idea. i think id pay somebody to powerwash and clean it before i bought one though:D
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds interesting. The thatch and leaves would "brew" in the back and he could sell the compost.

I thought you were kidding when I saw the post title.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

That or the fly larva from the 1 billion flies following the truck like a swarm. That may be a first---customer complaining about the stench from your truck and the flies. At that point you could reach into your pocket and pull out a jar of Vicks vapor rub and smear a little under your nose and say "it don't bother me none" !

10. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Esby??? How long you lived in Alex?? I use to race snowmobiles at the fairgrounds track back in the '70's. Was through there back in 96 or so. Is Ollie still standing at the end of mainstreet??(the Viking Statue)