Garbage truck took my weed wacker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawns Etc, Apr 22, 2008.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I was mowing today and I sat my Tanaka 2501 trimmer down for about 10 minutes to go point something out to my worker and I noticed that the trash truck had came but didnt think anything about it until I went back and saw 2 empty trash cans on the curb. My trimmer was a good 5 feet away from the trash cans and right next to my truck I called the trash company and they told me that it must have been crushed by now.I called the owner and he said that I should make sure that I keep anything that I dont want taken at least 10 ft away from the cans I believe that the workers took it and put it in the truck. This was after having a flat this morning on the trailer and my JD 797 taking $46 in gas and my F350 taking $90 all in all I probally lost $200 today Just figured that I would share my day.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I would be at the trash company's front door FIRST thing in the morning. Talk to the top dog that is present, try to be respectful, and request a reimbursement. The driver/worker should be held responsible for the cost - IMO. :usflag:

3. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just your luck

4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow I would be mad! I had a flat last thursday and it was a PITA

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct....don't let this go by. The trash guys surely weren't dumb enough to pitch out a good line trimmer - they had to see you were there working on the premises with your logo'd vehicle and all. If they did pitch it, the trash company owes you reimb. for the machine. If the guys stole it, the trash company owes you for the machine plus the worker/s need fired.

6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

That sucks! Talk to the trash company ASAP

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Before you head over there, take pictures of where your vehicles were parked. Was it obvious that a lawn care crew was working?

Place a second trimmer in the same spot that you had it where you left it, as well as the garbage cans were. Take pictures and document again.

Take pictures, and try to get a letter from the customer that you were working on the yard, that you were explaining something to the customer, and that the operator of the truck should have been smart enough to realize there was a lawn care operation at the property.

Now.... the biggest problem you're going to have is trying to prove that it was indeed the garbage people that took it, not someone else driving down the road. I'd assume the garbage cans are along the road?

8. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

It is what it is. It was probably meant to be.

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I always wondered what would happen if you left your stuff real close to the trash when you were cutting. I always keep my stuff right in front of me. You should get reimb. for the trimmer either way with what happened to it.

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a filed police report with a description of the trimmer and the trash cans but the POPO says that there is nothing that they can do about it I have the serial # for the trimmer so I am going there tommorow to see what I can get accomplished.