garden herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fblandscape, May 1, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I am in the middle of a weeding job for a client / friend. Right now I am using Round-up. Have used 8 gallons of mixture so far, and have only done the bulk of the 2 large beds. I would say that I have got MAYBE 1/4 of the work done as far as weeding goes at this place. My problem is that I will be spraying with my backpack sprayer, and I can't get close to the shrubs for fear of doing damage. Another problem I am having is that I will be going along spraying a bunch of weeds, and then "oops, there goes a hosta" or "ooops, there goes a mum" For the most part what I am spraying is maple seedlings. Any thoughts on what I can use?

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The quickest, simplest tool for maple seedlings (just germinated, not established) is a string trimmer. As the seed germinates, and throws up the first leaves about 3", it has used up all its energy. Just hit them with a string trimmer shortly after germination, there is no stored energy and no leaves to make food, and your maple forest is history.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Are you sure about that? There are a lot of plants in these gardens.