Garden Maintenance Q.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Maddog01, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Maddog01

Maddog01 LawnSite Member

Hi again...

I have another question....How do you quote garden bed maintenance? I just landed a contract with an million dollar home on an estate lot and they have some pretty big garden beds that have all been professionally designed. The lady wants me to come twice a month and just cultivate the soil and weed.

I quoted this job as 2.5 hours @ my hourly rate. Does anyone quote a different way for this type of job?

I don't want to sound like a dumb ass, I just want to see if I am with the competition or not. I would hate to think that I am underestimating myself.

Thanks again

2. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Just curious about the soil cultivating you mention. Beds should have a layer of mulch to suppress the weeds. The more you cultivate the soil the more weed seed you are planting and enticing to grow.

3. Maddog01

Maddog01 LawnSite Member

Turning of the beds. After our long winters and snow, the soil up around here tends to get rock hard so it needs to be turned in the beginning so it's easier to plant new plants (annuals). The multching is for her front gardens so to keep the moisture in. Its the back gardens that are the real maintenance.

4. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Gotcha! Bid your hourly rate but be careful on giving exact time to perform your job. Everthing changes year to year and season to season.