1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Garden tilling anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Mar 8, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Curious to know if any of you guys offer garden tilling to your customers. We started offering it last year and I've been amazed at the number of calls we've received this past week. We have 65 gardens to do this week and it's Monday morning.... I thought I was nuts for laying the money out for the attachment and had some reservations - but it will be paid for with this week's work alone - so it was a good decision. Any other guys in here do garden tilling? By the way - I ain't talkin about a walk-behind - gut pounder type of tilling.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've done it before If I was close and needed some quick cash
    5ft tiller on a 40hp tractor gives you some pretty gut pounding tilling and some awful loose soil lol

3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats how I started out in the biz,tilling gardens (Hence my co. name) and still do a few
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What I offer in my service is called GARDEN BED MAINTENANCE!

I offer in that service; yard, leaf debris removal, pull out weeds, rotate/till soil!

I hope that's the same as the service you offered!
  5. ccwmlw

ccwmlw LawnSite Member

How do you charge on this service?
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a 36” tiller on the back of a 20hp hydrostatic Wheel Horse tractor and I have a 18” walk behind rear tine tiller, I charge $20 minimum (maybe $25 this year) and $40 an hour after that… subject to raise to $45 this year LOL. I charge the same for the little tiller as the big one because you’d only use it in small areas that won’t take too long and I don’t like to muscle it when I can ride 20 ponies at once… it can be good money if you have the equipment…as with all work, I try to price by the job not the hour if I have a good idea how long it will take (you can get more money per hour this way) but it’s often hard because you don’t know the soil type and moisture and how many passes it will take, etc. so I just say $40 an hour with a $20 minimum (or whatever the rate will be).
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am out in the country and I till with a troybuilt rear tine tiller. A tiller rents for $22 per hour with 2 hour minimum so I charge minimum $45 for first hour and take a guess how much more it will take me to finish the job past 1 hour. Jobs usually take me about 10 - 15 minutes drive time.
  8. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've done a few but I use a troy-built rear tine as well.
  9. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I charge by the job. I get $125-$150 flat rate. Longest one has taken yet has been 1 hour.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I get around 30 to 40 for areas up to 1200 sq. ft. (40'x30'). I've never figured out an exact formula, because you never know the conditions you're going into for the till - whether it's previously worked grond, or new till (BIG difference). I just use a 12 hp John Deere tractor with a 36" tiller. It does a great job, though.