1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

garden tractor vs. a z

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by hkhk, Jun 24, 2004.

1. hkhk

hkhk LawnSite Member

My 16 HP 1987 Wheel Horse garden tractor is beginning to show serious signs of age and I am quite confused about what to replace it with. I mow approx 2 acres each week, some flat with one small part hilly. I have no trouble going up or down the hill with my Wheel Horse, but I cannot mow across the hill, its a bit too steep. I also have several trees and flower gardens to mow around. Most of lawn was leveled many years ago with a bull dozer so it is a bit bumpy in parts. I will not be using attachments for the garden tractor in the future, but I do tow typical garden stuff around...stones, logs, brush ect.

I have looked at the JD gx235 (18 HP), the club cadet GT 3204 (23 HP), and the Hustler Fastrac Z (HP 20). They are all within $1000 of each other.

which machine will give me the most attractive cut?

which machine will likely last the longest?

which machine will complete the job the quickest?

which machine will give the most comfortable ride?

which machine will be the easyiest to work on when the warrenty ends?

Are there some questions I should have asked?

Thank you for helping a confused homeowner.
  2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Farstrac z or Hustler z will do the job nicely:D
  3. fouracres

fouracres LawnSite Member

Our yard is also bumpy. You might find the ZTRs to be a little too rough a ride. They are fun to operate but you will find that you will not be able to go fast over the bumpy areas. We are also looking at the JD GX series. They have a lot of options that will help you mow. The power steering is very nice and will come in handy mowing around our 1/2 acre pond and through the thirty cedar trees along a portion of our property line.
  4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

The Cub 3204 is a nice machine. Shaft drive deck, power steering, very nice cut.
    All new garden tractors have the "mow in reverse" disabled. On this model, all you have to do is bend a thin metal tab to the side to bypass the switch.
  5. NickelPlate759

NickelPlate759 LawnSite Member

riches139, it is very true that MOST garden tractors have the "mow in reserve" disabled. I found this out while shopping for tractors early this year. However, I purchased a new 20HP Simpicilty w/ 54" deck, and this garden tractor DOES NOT have the mow in reserve disabled. I am able to back up with the cutting blade engaged, without hitting any bypass switches.

I'm not looking to correct you, because I'll bet you know a hell of a lot more about lawn care then I do. However, for those of us out there who want to buy a tractor that can mow in reserve, without using any toggle switches, the Simplicity line of tractors is a good choice.
  6. JFCizek II

JFCizek II LawnSite Member

What about a Kubota TG 1860 Diesel with a 48" or 54" deck. I have had one and had no problems with it all. I just traded a 2001 with a 48" deck in june. I had the back tires loaded with antifreeze and had no problem crawling across or up and down inclines. I also agree with the Simplicty line but I would also look at Wheel horse since you have one .
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler would be my choice. I've built my business with eXmark mowers. If I ever changed brands it would only be Hustler. Top quality machines and top quality people that build them.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The JD's anti-mow in reverse can be disabled by pulling the PTO control knob up for a second while you change directions. Once you are moving you do not have to continue to hold it up.

JD has the best service and support of them all out there, but Simplicities are nice machines as well for not quite as much money.

If I was looking for a new one it would be a X-465, air cooled Kawasaki, hydro lift/drive, available 3pt. hitch and 540 or 2000 rpm PTO.